Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Troy

April 14, 2024 at 8:57 pm

Ok hit a stopping point for the weekend.

I was able to end up exactly as planned in both the doorway for the bathroom, and in the large walkway from the dining room to family room. The dining room /family room doorway had the plank ending perfectly at the edge. I stopped here at this walkway (left side) and also here at this hallway closet (right side)

I stopped here because i wanted to confirm how to make my next line.

I plan to measure a distance off of the last plank (on left) into my dining room.

On the right, i stopped at the closet because I wanted to ask if I should snap a mini line in the hall and closet in order not to go off?

I know once i wrap around the wall ahead of the closet i need to measure off a line so im wondering how i should go about making my second mark (on the right) in order to be able to snap my line through the kitchen?

Overall, i made some progress!

• Joe

Administrator
    April 15, 2024 at 9:05 am
  • Troy

April 15, 2024 at 10:18 am

Ok thank you, Joe!

I will continue to work through the hallway and closet to get my rows lined up and measure my new line.

I was getting really nervous about the butt joints coming apart and I figured it was because of the way I was pounding the ends to join them together. So I actually changed my technique and it has been working great with minimal hammering required.

I place the butt joint together first and lay the plank down. I then go to the end of the plank, lift and angle it up to get as much of the tongue into the groove that I can. I then use the block to lightly tap along the groove and the plank actually falls in nicely and with the butt joint already being intact, it rarely requires that I address it. Its gone quite smoothly this way and my joints are all staying intact.

Hope you had a great weekend!

• Joe

Administrator
    April 15, 2024 at 3:38 pm
  • Troy

April 15, 2024 at 6:43 pm

OK, did the closet as you explained in it went well. However, I’m ready for my next plank and I’m kind of stuck on how I should go about it. It looks like I’m going to be going around two different walls here on the same plank, which could get tricky.

• Troy

April 15, 2024 at 6:47 pm

Nevermind my Previous post. I’m dumb. Lol didn’t realize i had to start at the far wall with a new row and work my way up to this spot!

• Troy

April 15, 2024 at 6:58 pm

OK, I lied again. I am having a little bit of a brain fart. Do I have the right idea with this row.m? Starting in the back corner, working my way up to this hallway, stopping, and marking that board out with the cheater board and then then installing?

• Troy

April 15, 2024 at 7:49 pm

So I think what has to happen, and you can correct me If I’m wrong, is I need to get a line snapped.

Since I am at different number of rows on the left and right side of the wall, what I did was measure 11 feet off the back wall in both the living room and in the dining room. I will snap a line with those two marks.

I think then I will use these gap pieces and install this entire row making sure to stay even with my line, and use a cheater board to mark off the left wall and this right wall.

I’m just a little confused on how you would go about this portion on the right which has three sides. I have included a picture for you.

• Troy

April 16, 2024 at 5:30 am

Joe, i just now realized my floor plan was not accurate. I apologize. I did a quick rendition to show the correction. My wall past my closet is actually set back a bit and not perfectly in line with the middle wall in the house. This is where I’m stuck on the right side.

Sorry about that.

• Joe

Administrator
    April 16, 2024 at 7:57 am
  • Troy

April 16, 2024 at 8:25 am

Thanks Joe, that video helped a lot.

I’ll work on that section tonight and get even with my rows. Its coming along!

• Troy

April 17, 2024 at 5:41 am

Getting this first row measured to the line was a real struggle. The cut piece was only about 1.5”-2” so while it was easy to move, this made it frustrating when trying to drill it into the floor. It would constantly shift and get off line. I spent all night trying to work on this row.

I eventually decided to take the screws out and put in the next row so Inwoild have some “meat” to work with so to speak. This made it more challenging to move the plank and measure against the snapped line but i got it pretty close. I’m still off in the middle walkway (measurement 2) by about 1/16… the ends (1 and 3) seem ok. Is this going to be close enough or does it have to be exact?

I’ll try to include pictures for you for reference.

• Joe

Administrator
    April 17, 2024 at 8:22 am
  • Troy

April 17, 2024 at 8:30 am

Thanks Joe! As you can tell, Im probably a little overconcerned and freaking out about meeting up around my center wall and being off. lol

Appreciate the encouragement! Have a good day.

• Troy

April 18, 2024 at 7:40 pm

Alright Joe, here we are. Moment of truth! 😂

Can you tell me if this looks right? I’m stopping here for the evening but I have the day off tomorrow and i will tackle a good portion of my floor then. I just want to make sure i have this set up correctly before marking my boards.

I set a row from my fireplace up to the kitchen cabinets. Then set up a gap piece, then attached and lined up the boards I will be marking at the butt joint. Everything went together seemingly well when i connected to the gap piece on the other side so I assume this means I will meet up around the wall?

Page 5 of 6