Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Joe

Administrator
    November 24, 2023 at 4:52 pm
  • Mark

November 25, 2023 at 5:46 pm

Hey Joe,

So I measured outside wall to outside wall, just inside the opening between the family room and living room. It measured 443-3/4″ on the outside (west side of opening, if we say the top of the drawing is North) and 443-7/16″ to the east side of the opening. What I am thinking should not really be an issue (hard to actually see that with the pattern through out the plank) Yes you are correct, we are only doing the plank in the Family room, living room, and front entrance way (to include the closet area) the kitchen, hallway and bathroom currently have tile. The office area I will eventually reinstall the hardwood that I removed from the family room. As I said, most of the floor prep is completed, just a light skim coat to level out a small dip n the front entrance way.

I liked the idea of starting in the family room to get a hang of laying the planks down. My concern is just not having a small piece left at the front entrance door. I have my 10 plank cheat sheet made, so I will extend a starting line to see how much plank I will be left with and then adjust to make the final plank along that (North) wall as big as possible.

I figure the 2 small walls on either side of the opening between the family and living rooms will be small enough that the average person will not be able to see. (Of course I will know where it is. lol) But hey still have the baseboard molding to add, which will probably hide all of my worries anyway.

one other question, you mentioned if you had a small piece somewhere, to just add some glue to secure it to the adjoining plank. What type of glue would I use for that, a standard wood glue, or something else. I am thinking the only areas that may see a small piece would be hidden with furniture or in a closet anyway.

Thanks for the videos responses. You mentioned a blueprint and next Tuesday. Can you let me know what exactly that entails? Sounds very interesting.

Thanks

Mark

• Joe

Administrator
    November 27, 2023 at 11:11 am
    • Mark

November 27, 2023 at 5:40 pm

That sounds great Joe. I look forward to going thru it.

Mark

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2023 at 9:21 am

here is your blueprint – https://somup.com/c0lVoYgmIr

• Mark

December 4, 2023 at 3:19 pm

Joe,

Thanks for the blue print. After going thru thongs a couple times, I have some further questions.

1. after starting in the middle of the opening between the Living room and Family room, I found I will need to adjust so I have a bigger piece at the front (North looking at drawing). If I move my reference line 3″ to grow this piece, I end up with how the plank lines up in the opening. This ends up with 1 whole plank with in the 7-1/2″ wall. Thoughts on how this laid out?

2. When laying the Quietwalk LV down, are you laying out 1 strip, then installing the plank to that point and then lay the next strip of Quietwalk LV? Or do you lay out all the Quietwalk LV and then start laying plank down?

Again thanks for your help

• Joe

Administrator
    December 4, 2023 at 5:04 pm
  • Mark

December 11, 2023 at 6:03 am

Just a photo update,

1- Kitchen looking into Family room

2 – Family room looking toward kitchen

3 – Family room looking into Living room

4 – Living room looking back toward Family room

5 – Living room looking toward front door (Carpet is just for feet in AM)

6 – Hallway (outside bathroom) looking into living room.

7 – Living room into family room.

Sub floor all prepped and dips removed.

Finally ready to lay down some plank now. Everything swept and vac’d

• Joe

Administrator
    December 11, 2023 at 8:13 am

You got this buddy!!

• Mark

December 17, 2023 at 5:40 pm

Joe,

Here is how my front door turned out. Just wondering if it would be cleaner to just add a bead of caulking instead of a transition piece. The gap is about 3/16″ wide at most. There is not a whole lot of room when the door opens under the weather stripping.

I could cut back some more and then slide a piece into the gap, but I was thinking it would look cleaner with caulking. Thoughts?

• Joe

Administrator
    December 18, 2023 at 7:56 am

Yes, in this situation I would use a colored silicone to fill the gap.

Page 2 of 2