Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Tagged: 

• Joe

Administrator
    September 26, 2022 at 1:38 pm
    • jessica

September 26, 2022 at 3:57 pm

Wow! You are right on track with how the layout is! My daughter’s bedroom is the room I have the LVP down into and her room is at the back of the house and the master bedroom is at front of house. The bathrooms (master and hall will both have that same issue with the old school subfloor under the tile and the huge marble threshold. The photos I shared earlier were from the hall bath. I will post photos int he replies soon! Thank you sooooooo much! I was hoping to do the master bedroom last so I’m very excited that you broke it down like that. We have 4 kids that all live at home so all the bedrooms are occupied and I was planning on taking your advice about moving furniture to one side.

I was filling around two weeks ago and already took care of the landings on the stair case. Yes there were two of them…one needs to be re done after watching one of your videos. The subfloor was weird on both when it came to the stair nose. One was perfect and the LVP line up nicely to the existing stair nose which I stained to match…I glued the boards down since that seemed to be what a lot of people recommended with stairs. The other landing the subfloor was slightly raised above the stair nose…that’s the one I want to do over. I stained that stair nose too, but its just temporary and I will follow your videos on that and install an overlapping stair nose (which I have). I will get those photos posted shortly

• jessica

September 26, 2022 at 4:04 pm

Pardon the mess. We have some of my daughter things in other people’s bedrooms and I have a one some who just has a ton of stuff

I will comment with the start of everything. Here and just add to the comments with photos and descriptions

First photos is the landings and part of hallway facing front of house

• jessica

September 26, 2022 at 4:07 pm

This is bedroom 4 according to the Home Depot drawing. This is the room you said will be backwards

• jessica

September 26, 2022 at 4:09 pm

Bedroom 3 which is master and at front of house. Also the master bath which has the same issues as hallway bath

• jessica

September 26, 2022 at 4:10 pm

Rest of hallway and the hall bath which has a linen closet

• jessica

September 26, 2022 at 4:11 pm

Bedroom 1 according to HD

• jessica

September 26, 2022 at 4:12 pm

Bedroom 2 according to HD and this is front of house like master. Shared room.

• jessica

September 26, 2022 at 4:16 pm

Here is the LVP by traffic Master. I’ve been putting the tongue side facing the back of house in my daughters bedroom and working towards the doorway like you drew out.

• jessica

September 27, 2022 at 6:33 am

Hi good morning Joe, would it be horrible to start bedroom 2 before continuing hallway? My issue is the spindles and not sure I’m ready for that yet. Thanks.

• jessica

September 27, 2022 at 11:19 am

No track under all of the sliding closet doors on home. Just at the top

Hope these help. I’ll take doors off as instructed. Thanks! If you need a shot of interior closet let me know

• Joe

Administrator
    September 27, 2022 at 9:47 am
    • jessica

September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am

Thanks Joe! Unfortunately when I started my daughter’s bedroom it was before really diving into your YouTube channel and joining the university. So I will most likely have to wrap a board or two (each side of closet entrance maybe). On the plus side the sliding closet doors are not mounted to a floor track and that goes for the other bedroom with sliding closet doors too

I didn’t plan her room out the best way possible and in retrospect I would’ve definitely done things your way with the chalk line, the 10 board approach etc. so I’m hoping I can still have success in the other rooms and hallway. Hopefully this don’t mess it all up

The plank is just about 6 inches in width and 36” long. I believe the face of board itself is 5.98” and then allowing the tongue side takes it to 6”.

I don’t mind running the plank down the hall and to outside my son’s bedroom which is next to master. I can keep the spindle area free from plank for now if you think that works and that was going to actually line up with the first row into hallway against the wall outside hallway bathroom.

Btw, the spindles were attached directly to the subfloor and not on a shoe tray…the house was built in 1984 so maybe that’s how contractors did it then but I think this will be doable yet challenging (story of my life lol)

do you think I should finish off my daughter’s room into her closet and wall and then start more into hallway? I got the other end of her room (first and second row) installed (photo attached). I originally did use your idea of scrap boards for holding the place of first two rows. I wound up using a utility knife to make the cuts for the vents. I still need to get better at the jig saw.

I am a slow worker because I’m doing it alone and have 4 dogs that want to help too much and kids to pick up daily from school and the other mom stuff. I am hoping to pick up momentum now though. I truly appreciate you! I prayed this weekend for help with this. I ideally wanted someone who could coach me through this here and there, and Hid did provide!

• Joe

Administrator
    September 27, 2022 at 11:02 am
  • Joe

Administrator
    September 27, 2022 at 3:00 pm

I will have this to you tomorrow.

• Joe

Administrator
    September 27, 2022 at 4:21 pm

Here is the first part of your blueprint – https://somup.com/c3QtrYU7IO

• jessica

September 27, 2022 at 6:37 pm

Thanks Joe! Watching now and will rewatch and take notes. Thank you so much again!!! I truly appreciate it.😀

• jessica

September 29, 2022 at 3:42 pm

Hey Joe! Question, in your video you sent me, when you say to put one screw down to secure, do you mean 1 screw into the subfloor directly or into a scrap piece? Thanks.

ps…I feel really guilty that I took a break from the floor today, but I had to run errands today

• jessica

September 29, 2022 at 5:53 pm

I finally finished watching the video! Thank you for the prayer at the end! I needed that!!! God bless you and your family 🙂

• jessica

September 28, 2022 at 1:02 pm

Closet done. Just a little more to go in daughter’s bedroom. I know what I need to do when it comes to the other rooms by my mistakes. I had to pick my daughter up early from school and also had to pay attention to the dogs maybe I’ll go back to this later today

The closet took longer than expected!!! But I did the cuts by hand with knife. I have to learn how to use the jig saw better. Moved furniture and cleaned up most of her room.

• Joe

Administrator
    September 28, 2022 at 1:40 pm

You are doing great!!

• jessica

September 28, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Thanks! I am going to take a break tomorrow and catch up on some for shopping and errands. I will send over some better photos of the hallway if needed. I have an L-Shaped straight banister in the upstairs hallway that has wood spindles directly attached to subfloor. I was thinking of building out my own version of a shoe plate (I think that’s what it’s called. I really don’t think I want to remove the spindles though. I also don’t want to get to ahead of myself either.

• Joe

Administrator
    September 29, 2022 at 3:49 pm
    • jessica

September 29, 2022 at 5:53 pm

thank you!

• jessica

September 30, 2022 at 9:20 am

Good morning Joe! Thanks again for your prayers and your advice. I’m going to start working in hallway today. Here is what my hallway issue includes. The banister starts about 2 feet or so outside bathroom door in hallway and forms a backwards L.

The wood spindles are mounted right to the subfloor and I’m not sure if the photos show, but there are some gaps that builder left. Maybe I’m totally wrong. I have to take the carpet up more to see it. This looks to be a challenge but I think with your guidance I’ll be able to handle it.

Going to stop the boards right where the banister starts

• Joe

Administrator
    September 30, 2022 at 10:57 am
  • jessica

September 30, 2022 at 11:06 am

Here’s what I found. I think I can run some trim work where the base of spindles are and stain the wood to match stairs or floor

• Joe

Administrator
    September 30, 2022 at 11:40 am
  • jessica

September 30, 2022 at 6:25 pm

This is what I got done today before having to pick kids up from school.

• Joe

Administrator
    October 1, 2022 at 7:48 am

You are getting there!

• jessica

October 6, 2022 at 6:38 pm

Hi Joe! Just wanted to give you an update on progress…my sons’ bedroom is pretty much done except for the first and last row and closet. I wound up taking apart the hallway and my daughter’s bedroom and worked backwards which wasn’t horrible but things changed a little bit as far as where some measurements around vents and closet door jambs, but all in all I am really happy I was able to re-do that. My body was so broken feeling after this weekend working and then power session on Wednesday. But I will finish the hallway and make my way into the other two bedrooms and the bathrooms… oh my 😮

• Joe

Administrator
        October 7, 2022 at 8:10 am

You got this!!

• jessica

October 3, 2022 at 4:10 pm

Well looks like I have to go back and do my daughter’s room again. My sons’ room came out great with all the things I learned from you. But when I did my daughter’s room before that, it was when I didn’t fully grasp a few things. So I’m thinking I will take up the hallway and start her room over. I see where the mistakes are. I’m confident that I can get it corrected fast. The hard part will be the furniture.

• jessica

October 11, 2022 at 9:22 am

Hi Joe! Okay attaching some photos

At the hallway stair banister area. So I’m using a rubber transition price as a mock up to see if transition or end cap would work and it appears it will. I could stain the stair nose where spindles are to match floor. Thoughts?

Also thoughts on the end of hallway where it starts the top of stairs? I also may have to even out the subfloor with the product you recommended (got it from your Amazon link). The subfloor appears to dip downwards slightly towards the wall from the banister. So those planks may come up again this week. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 3