Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Tagged: 

• jessica

October 20, 2022 at 12:52 pm

These photos are of one of my landings that I needed to do over. There is a gap/ height difference where the stair nose and sub floor meet up. Subfloor is higher than stair nose. This one seems a little worse than my other stair nose. Also it has the hinderance of base molding and banister. So my husband tried to use an electric planing tool to trim down the stair nose but I think he should’ve taken off more. And I’m thinking I should put something like MDF (?) to even out the area…not sure that’s right. The issue is when we out the LVP stair nose on it didn’t seem to sit flush and had a lot of give even with brads and adhesive. So I took it apart and started all over with the boards and not sure if I should shim under the boards? This one is giving me issues. Also, do boards get glued on a landing or is that just stairs? Should he be using another tool instead of the electric planet? It’s messy and takes him a while. And hard to get the parts by the wall. Thanks

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  jessica.
  • Joe

Administrator
    October 20, 2022 at 5:09 pm
  • jessica

October 20, 2022 at 5:41 pm

Thank you Joe! What do you suggest I use for this gapping? The subfloor sticks up higher than the existing stair nose. When you walk on it you can feel it sink. It’s like this the whole way across. Not as easy as the one I did last week. Wondering if I need something more than tar paper? Thanks again

• Joe

Administrator
    October 21, 2022 at 7:55 am
    • jessica

October 21, 2022 at 9:00 am

Thanks @joeletendre I have to get my husband to build up the courage and get over the resistance to cut that stair nose flush to riser. Lol these are the issues that often come up here. He has some resistance to some things. He used the power planing tool and it isn’t flush at all. I will draw a line for him to do the cut. Then I will take your advice to shim the area.

• jessica

October 25, 2022 at 8:59 am

Master bedroom done! 2 bathrooms to go. These might wait a little bit. I want to get all the molding down and finish the hall and one lading

I also have one closet to do on my sons’ room. However, the whole upstairs looks amazing already. Thanks so much @joeletendre for your guidance and support. I am hoping the bathroom thresholds can be removed easily if I get my husband to do it for me I hardly made a dent with the one

• Joe

Administrator
    October 25, 2022 at 9:00 am

Looks incredible! Well done Jessica!

• jessica

November 13, 2022 at 1:10 pm

Starting the master bathroom today. So I’m doing things a little differently than what you recommended for the marble transition pieces that are at both upstairs bathrooms. Just because they are in there really tight! However, it sticks up slightly where the tile meets it. I decided to run the boards to it and leave a small gap. Then I will caulk it with silicone caulk like you use in one of your videos on tubs and shower pans. It meets up nicely to the marble transition piece.

Now at the doorway on the bedroom side I’m goi g to put a small square shaped molding I found where the “mud” subfloor is exposed. I found the square wood molding at Home Depot and it fits perfect in that little space. Say some prayers for me @joeletendre thank you for everything you have helped me with!

Just the bathrooms left and I need to pretty up the stair spindle area. My husband has been putting down quarter round which really makes everything look amazing.

Next I’m going to tackle the family room. When I’m ready I’ll submit the floor plan for that as well as photos.

• Joe

Administrator
    November 14, 2022 at 7:12 am

Sounds like a great plan!

Page 3 of 3