Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep Undercut Stringers

• Undercut Stringers

Posted by Josh on November 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm

First, I do plan to redo the stairs at some point with new treads and risers. That said I’m still on the ground floor trying to get my plank up to the base of the first stair. I’ve attached a few pictures for reference.

The molding around the post was already undercut so I was planning to run the plank under that. On the opposite side of this post, I undercut the vertical portion of the shoe. I was considering undercutting it on this side but when I pulled the carpet back from the stringer, you can see that the stringer actually protrudes further than the shoe. My hope is when I do the stairs that I’ll be able to paint the stringer to match the new risers (white) and the first riser will cover the expansion gap. So I guess my question is, under cut the stringer (probably gotta go 1/2″ to have expansion room) or try to finagle some base-shoe along the stringer front to back?

P.S. Hope you don’t mind me creating multiple question threads for differing topics. I thought it would easier for others to maybe find answers when searching later.

Joe replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply