Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums General transition pieces: stained hardwood vs store bought reducer

• transition pieces: stained hardwood vs store bought reducer

Posted by Dewey on June 3, 2021 at 4:27 pm

Joe, I finished the install around the fireplace. Turned out good. Really close to being finished with complete install. Could not buy prefinished endcap. Bought unfinished oak endcap and was able to mix 2 colors and get a color that after spraying with poly was close to the laminate plank. It looks good. My question is, have a 5ft wide entrance to a stepdown great room. Planks are 1/4 inch higher than oak step. Oak reducer would not fit flush with the planks and oak step. There was about a 3/8 inch gap between oak step and reducer. Oak endcap would fit flush. I took oak endcap and beveled on the endcap side (square side) to take away a portion of the endcap so it doesn’t create a blunt finished side. It is a tapered side. What I don’t like is the beveled oak endcap is 3/4 inch high it’s highest point. The 3/4 inch height is very noticeable and could cause someone to stumble. The store bought reducer is 3/8 inch high and will fit flush with planks and oak step. I am not sure if I should use the store bought reducer or the stained oak endcap. Does it matter that I have stained oak endcap at the 2 exterior door entrances and store bought reducer at the great room entrance. There is noticeable difference in color. 1st picture is stained oak endcap going into step down bedroom. Seems to be ok. 2nd picture is store bought reducer at entrance to great room. 3rd picture is beveled oak endcap at entrance to grt rm. 4th picture is stained oak endcap at front entrance and there will be endcap at back entrance. I realize it is difficult for you to visualize my situation. Your comments and questions would be appreciated.

Joe replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Joe

Administrator
    June 3, 2021 at 5:12 pm

It is really up to you on which you want to use and where use them. If you want to talk on the phone let me know. 218 256 8080