Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums General To replace the plank or not opinion

• To replace the plank or not opinion

Posted by Philip on January 26, 2022 at 3:54 pm

Hi Joe,

I have found a plank with a small bump defect in it. Its in a high traffic area and I am afraid of it wearing 1st. Its 9 rows in from one side and 16 rows in from the other side. I tired to get to it from the 9 rows side but I have planks glued together on that side in the doorways. I tried sliding the planks next to the glued ones south to get to the defect but they are very to hard slide. The other option is to work backwards to it from the 16 row side. In the drawing the planks run north and south and start southwest corner. I don’t have any base boards in yet. It should be pretty basic, these planks interlock easy. Do you this it is worth the work to get to the defect?

Thank you,

Philip

James replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 27, 2022 at 4:17 am

Hey Philip! Yes, I think if it is bothering you enough to ask it is worth fixing. I am making a video in February on how to replace a plank without taking the floor apart if you want to wait to do this. Otherwise, you can take the floor apart if you do not want to wait.

• Philip

January 27, 2022 at 11:38 am

Thanks Joe, it bothers me but not my wife. I might be bit of a perfectionist haha.

I have plenty of areas I can work on so I can wait for your video. I might I know how you are going to do it but will wait and see.

Phil

• Philip

April 21, 2022 at 5:36 pm

Hi Joe,

Did you get around to making the video on how to replace a plank without taking the floor apart? I haven’t had much time to do work on the flooring so I am not in a big hurry for the video. I have an idea on how to do it but would like to see your method.

Thank you,

Phil

• Joe

Administrator
    April 21, 2022 at 5:54 pm

I am sorry Phil, I do not have it up yet.

• Philip

April 21, 2022 at 5:59 pm

No problem, I am in no hurry and have plenty of other work on the house to do in the mean time. With any luck I will get all the flooring done this year. Might have to take a few weeks off from work to get it done. Haha

Take care,

Phil

• James

May 25, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Hi Phillip.

I had a similar issue but mine was caused when I dropped something heavy on my new SPC floor and wrecked the plank. In another thread on this site someone else had a need to replace a plank near his stairs. I took that idea and ran with it.
    What I did was cut in from the edges by about 1 inch with my mini circular saw (a multitool would also work) which allowed me to remove the centre. When replacing it, I had to shave off a slight piece of the tongue so the plank would fit back in and before putting it back permanently, I glued the seam on the shaved edge and then put some dumbbells on it to keep it in position until the glue cured.

Seemed to work ok for me and my wife didn’t notice.

Just my 2 cents.