Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums General Newel Post

• Newel Post

Posted by Dennis on April 12, 2021 at 8:31 am

Hi Joe – two questions for you:

1) Can you share with me your thoughts about how I should approach installing my plank flooring around a newel post? Should I install with an expansion gap and cover with shoe moulding or undercut the post and install as if it were a door casing? See attached pictures.

2) My staircase is in the middle of the room, and I need to install around it (as if it were a kitchen island). I snapped my reference line and have been verifying that both sides of the staircase are the same distance from the reference line, as you taught me. However, I am consistently 1/16 to 3/16 off in some areas. Is this going to be a problem when I join up the planks on the other side? If so, any ideas on how to fix it before i connect? I already have many, many rows of plank installed so it would not be terrific to rip the whole floor up.

Joe replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    April 12, 2021 at 8:50 am
  • Dennis

April 12, 2021 at 10:37 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve attached a video that might help explain the issue.

I’ll try the string method in a bit to find out if my reference line is out. But please let me know if I have a huge issue that I should correct before going further. Please let me know if this link works.

https://youtu.be/FfaVyP7g9Ww

• Joe

Administrator
    April 12, 2021 at 10:57 am