Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Mike on December 10, 2022 at 1:25 pm

Hi Joe,

I will be installing Nucore whispercore vinyl plank over concrete. The planks are 9″ x 5′ drop and lock.

Planks will run North/South. Keeping existing tile in the two bathrooms. Plank everywhere else.

I was thinking of starting in the SE bedroom, if I’m correct I would only have to work backwards in the NE bedroom and the 2 small hall closets.

My hallway is about 10.5 feet, would you still recommend starting the center line there?

I’m confident on the install except for my angled stone contoured fireplace, which also has an angled opposing wall. Please advise on how I can copy the contour of the stone. I have included a pic. The existing laminate is being demoed.

Lastly, What transition do you recommend at a slider? I’ve seen pictures of a metal trim piece that looks nice.

I’ll be starting this project in January.

Thank you, Mike

Joe replied 1 year, 2 months ago 3 Members · 35 Replies
  • 35 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    December 12, 2022 at 11:10 am
    • Mike

December 17, 2022 at 10:51 am

Heres a pic of the plank Ill be using, we decided we like this one better than the random width plank. Also a pic of the slider I was questioning what type of transition. I saw somewhere where they used a piece of aluminum moulding.

You asked about how I will secure to concrete. I was going to go with your glue method, I like the spacers you mention but I figure this is going to take me a few weekends. With investing in the glue method I can also secure the floor where I leave off for the day.

Also you mentioned in your video on transitions to exterior doors that you like to replace the door thresholds rather than using a transition. I cant mentally picture how replacing the threshold eliminates the need for a transition.

Thanks ,looking forward to your blueprint review.

Mike

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Mike.
      • Mike

December 17, 2022 at 1:00 pm
    • Mike

December 20, 2022 at 2:41 pm

I had an idea for tracing the fireplace and wanted your take. The existing laminate isnt undercut. After I demo the existing laminate I could put the pieces that were around the fireplace together and use them as a big stencil. Do you think that might be easier than using the contour jig?

• Joe

Administrator
    December 12, 2022 at 11:28 am

here is that link – https://amzn.to/3FkAzDa

• Joe

Administrator
    December 19, 2022 at 10:14 am
    • Mike

December 19, 2022 at 10:58 am

Sorry Joe, didnt think to clarify which side. Planks going where the carpet is now. I havnt demo’d yet.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 19, 2022 at 11:10 am
    • Mike

December 19, 2022 at 11:59 am

Yes I was considering starting on bottom right corner bedroom. As you pointed out I could just as well start in the upper right bedroom.

Thanks

• Joe

Administrator
        December 20, 2022 at 2:56 pm

Absolutely I do.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 20, 2022 at 2:56 pm

I am working on your blueprint right now!

• Joe

Administrator
    December 20, 2022 at 4:44 pm

Here is your Blueprint – https://somup.com/c3lY35wEJ4

• Mike

December 29, 2022 at 6:45 pm

Hey Joe,

Mike here. AKA Bill. LOL…No worries calling me Bill in the video.

Question. My plank is requiring a 6 mil moisture barrier over concrete. Should I not use the glue method then.

Thank you for praying for me,my family and the project.

Your brother in Christ

• Joe

Administrator
    December 30, 2022 at 9:54 am
  • Joe

Administrator
    December 30, 2022 at 9:54 am

here is a link to the video I mentioned – https://youtu.be/V1VYSQAiJGI

• Mike

January 16, 2023 at 6:17 am

Hey Joe,

I just had 400sq ft of tile removed in the Kitchen, diningroom, foyer and hall way using DustRam. It was impressive how dust free the removal was. Anyway my question is now that prepping the floor, I have alot of dip areas that are 1/8 or less. You recommended the Henrys 549. Its 20$ for a 7 pound bag in my area. I will need a ton of it. You mention tar paper at the end of one of your videos. Is that an option over concrete? If so would it need a vapor barrier? Thanks

• Mike

January 16, 2023 at 7:43 am

Also to mention. I did try using Henrys 547. It goes further 30$ for 25lb bag. Similiar but doesnt seem to mix as well.

• Mike

January 16, 2023 at 6:34 am

Also, my plank is on the bigger side 9” x 5’ ,,7.5 mil, with cork bottom. Does plank size matter as far as how forgiving it is on a not so perfect subfloor?

• Joe

Administrator
    January 16, 2023 at 9:39 am
    • Mike

January 19, 2023 at 3:45 pm

Thanks Joe, took your advice, I did find a flooring supplier, where I can get the Ardex featherfinish for the same price as Henrys.

They also sold an Ardex featherfinish XF. The only difference I could find online is that its mold and mildew resistant. They do have it priced 3$ cheaper than the regular stuff. I bought the regular stuff to start with for now. Any thoughts on the cheaper XF, or just stick with the regular.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 16, 2023 at 9:47 am

• Joe

Administrator
    January 20, 2023 at 9:05 am

Yes, that will work just fine!

• Mike

January 29, 2023 at 8:54 pm

Hi Joe,

Starting the layout from the hallway. My hallway is 36”. I can fit 4 whole planks at 35 1/2”. Is this Ok, or should I move everything over half a plank? My worry is Im not leaving much room for error on the last row. Im going to plank the bathroom now also, so a transition will not be an issue.

Also to note, 2 planks long puts me in both bedroom door threshholds. You said in the review that would be good in the last row in the hallway.

Couple pics attached looking both directions.

Thanks Mike

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Mike.
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 30, 2023 at 8:49 am
Page 1 of 2