Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Susan on January 21, 2022 at 3:57 pm

Hi, I think I feel confident enough to start, but I do have some questions about layout.

I will be doing the entire upper floor in this particular (backed) lvp, but I’m starting in the bedroom, then enough of the hallway to keep things secure for a moment.

I’ve watched Joe’s videos, and just want to run these by for approval or comments.

My baseboards are mdf, and I can’t find them anywhere, so will be using 1/4 round to finish.

The package says to leave 3/8”, can I use 1/4” for ease?

Planks are 7.1”

First photo:

I’ve lined them up to try out, and I think Joe would recommend using half boards on the edges. If I was lo leave them as is, I’d have a problem with the door entry and hall.

Second:

If I’m understanding correctly, a half plank would be followed by a full plank to fit under the door casings.

Third:

This is the hallway, which needs some modification in layout as the last board (angled) won’t fit, and I need a half plank on either side, then one to fit/meet the plank on the other side.

Fourth: the space is about 7”

Fifth: how I’m suspecting that Joe would recommend this hallway layout with a half or so on either side)

Unrelated to layout: my flooring wasn’t lying flat until I started sliding it gently back and forth (lengthwise) I don’t think I’ll have a problem as the manufacturer says to install the butt end first, and I’ll add another lengthwise. Staggered, of course, not as I’ve laid it out in the photos

Thanks for any help! I know Joe’s away, but I don’t think I’ll need a blueprint for this room or transition into the hallway The other rooms, more than likely!

Susan

• This discussion was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Susan.
    Joe replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 21, 2022 at 5:32 pm

Hey Susan! I would be glad to help, but none of the pics showed up for me, can you try and load them again?

• Susan

January 21, 2022 at 7:04 pm

Hi Joe,

Another question if you have time?

In the bedroom I’ll be starting with, there is an iron grate. How would you handle this area?

I think it will need two or three inch pieces, and a gap between the baseboard and pieces. Any cutting tips? Product install video recommends scoring twice on top, once on the back and snapping

I do have spacers in the kit I bought if necessary. I did buy the tapping block you recommended ($80 CDN), but I don’t think I’ll need it for this flooring as it seems to fit together without, and I’ve got a rubber mallet.

Thank you again!

Susan

• Susan

January 21, 2022 at 5:56 pm

Oh gosh, I’m sorry!

I didn’t realize they didn’t load.

I’ll copy what I wrote again so you don’t have to jump around.

Hi, I think I feel confident enough to start, but I do have some questions about layout.

I will be doing the entire upper floor in this particular (backed) lvp, but I’m starting in the bedroom, then enough of the hallway to keep things secure for a moment.

I’ve watched Joe’s videos, and just want to run these by for approval or comments.

My baseboards are mdf, and I can’t find them anywhere, so will be using 1/4 round to finish.

The package says to leave 3/8”, can I use 1/4” for ease?

Planks are 7.1”

First photo:

I’ve lined them up to try out, and I think Joe would recommend using half boards on the edges. If I was lo leave them as is, I’d have a problem with the door entry and hall.

Second:

If I’m understanding correctly, a half plank would be followed by a full plank to fit under the door casings.

Third:

This is the hallway, which needs some modification in layout as the last board (angled) won’t fit, and I need a half plank on either side, then one to fit/meet the plank on the other side.

Fourth: the space is about 7”

Fifth: how I’m suspecting that Joe would recommend this hallway layout with a half or so on either side)

Unrelated to layout: my flooring wasn’t lying flat until I started sliding it gently back and forth (lengthwise) I don’t think I’ll have a problem as the manufacturer says to install the butt end first, and I’ll add another lengthwise. Staggered, of course, not as I’ve laid it out in the photos.

Thanks for any help! I know Joe’s away, but I don’t think I’ll need a blueprint for this room or transition into the hallway.

The other rooms, more than likely!

• Joe

Administrator
    January 22, 2022 at 5:23 am

I would base the layout off of the hall and transfer that aline into the starting bedroom. It looks to me that in the hall you will need to divide the hall in half and then move that mark over a half of plank. That will be the measurement for your main line in the hall. Have you watched my where to start series? Watch videos 3,4 and 5 for detailed info on this. Then watch my video on installing the first few rows.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 22, 2022 at 5:25 am

A 1/4 inch gap is more than enough for a vinyl plank.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 22, 2022 at 5:27 am

I would use a jigsaw to cut those small pieces around that vent. Buy several blades since lvp is very hard on them.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 22, 2022 at 5:38 am

You can call me if you need help – 218 256 8080

• Susan

February 5, 2022 at 8:47 am

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Susan.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Susan.
  • Joe

Administrator
    February 5, 2022 at 11:10 am

Hey Susan! I am not sure if you posted something, but it does not show up for me. Do you need help with something?

• Susan

February 5, 2022 at 12:03 pm

I do, thanks for replying to this.

I had a detailed post, but it was all html and unreadable.

I’ll try again below.

• Susan

February 5, 2022 at 12:17 pm

Hi Joe, (this is really long, sorry!)
    I really want to start in the bedroom as it’s empty now.
    I have an idea for the hallway layout, and thought that I could secure a few planks in the hallway to make sure the planks transitioned smoothly from them. Then do the hallway, and other rooms.
    The hallway walls and ceiling are textured with drywall compound, and I want to scrape hat off, or at least paint before doing the floor in that area.
    If you think that’s a bad idea, I can wait. I’ve been sleeping in the living room since mid-November and really want to return to the bedroom, finished or not.
    I’m attaching my house layout, and photos of the challenges I have.
    It’s a 1915 house that was renovated, and has only plywood subfloor.

The room with really old floor is 2” tongue and groove, and it is buckling in places (photo 5). Underneath (looking from basement) is 7” wood planks. I’m not confident that I can remove that, add plywood and then lpv. There is a builder installed transition from the plywood floor to that room and the lpv lies smoothly (photos 3 & 4)
    The front entrance is painted plywood. There is a wood transition to the bedroom that I’m not confident removing or replacing (photo 6 & 7)
    The bedroom off the entrance is plywood and must have been carpeted at one point. There are up to 1” gaps between the wall and edge of the plywood.
    It’s been quite cold in Ontario, and I’m noticing drafts in that room from the floor. What do you recommend for that – pink insulation, spray foam? Would I place inch pieces of wood to fill the gaps? That room was recently drywalled (over plaster) and needs baseboard and the quarter round.
    The front door looks awful, and I don’t know what to do with that either (last photo).
    I’m hoping I can do room by room, and possibly connect them in the future.
    I feel that my house is quite a mess, and it’s taken me literally years to get to this point. Everyone I had spoken to made it sound like it was SUCH lot of work, and DIFFICULT (for them to do).
    Thank you so much for your help!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Joe. Reason: took out html tags
  • Joe

Administrator
    February 7, 2022 at 9:44 am
  • Susan

February 7, 2022 at 12:00 pm

Hi, thank you so much!

I would love to talk to you later this afternoon.

A bit more information:

I am going to leave the (black) transition and paint it to match the new flooring.

The old floor can stay for now, and I’m okay with the rooms having transitions. I’m attaching a photo of the old floor, it is 3/4” tongue and groove it sits on top of floorboards running parallel front door to back. (photo 1)

The front bedroom (white) transition can stay. It will sit up about 3/4” above the new flooring on the hallway side. (photo 2). I had thought the (blue) flooring was plywood, but you’re correct, it’s particle board. The flooring in that bedroom would be almost level with the transition if I left the particle board as is (photo 3)

The front door needs something. There is a gap that I filled years ago with I think spray foam. The flooring will sit level on one side of the door, but but not the other (sloped).

The bathroom will be left alone for now. There’s a claw foot tub that I can’t move by myself, and I need to think about it. There is a similar wooden transition connecting the main bedroom to the bath.

You were also correct in thinking there was an addition. The front part, including the old floor room, is original. Everything from the first black transition back, including kitchen, hallway, bedroom, and that big room is the addition, so the subfloor is pretty level.

• Joe

Administrator
    February 7, 2022 at 1:01 pm

Ok, I am out of the office until 3:45 central time and I could talk then. Or whenever after that.

• Joe

Administrator
    February 8, 2022 at 3:49 pm

Here is our phone conversation – http://somup.com/c3njrJZLEP

• Susan

February 16, 2022 at 9:04 am

Hey, I hope you’re having a good day 🙂

I have a few days coming up to work on flooring.

Would you be able to help me with the blueprint to help me get started?

Thanks so much!

• Joe

Administrator
    February 16, 2022 at 9:31 am

Yes, of course! Is the plan to keep the floor going through the main bedroom, hall, kitchen and Livingroom?

Did you decide if you will be breaking at any doors in the other areas?

• Susan

February 16, 2022 at 10:25 am

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if I should go ahead and start or not.

Main bedroom going towards the hallway with a smooth transition.

Hallway to be finished on another date, but locking the planks in place so I can start easily later. So far it looks like 16 planks span the bedroom, and I know I’ll need a half plank on either side to fit the door smoothly.

This is a silly question: will I leave 1/4″ on the entire perimeter, or just where I start and end?

Thanks again, I know you’re busy!

Oh, and the bedroom to bathroom doorway has the same sort of transition as the hallway to old floor – I’m just going to go right up to it and paint it later.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Susan. Reason: added answer re bedroom to bath doorway
      • Joe

Administrator
        February 16, 2022 at 10:32 am

Yes, leave an expansion joint around entire perimeter of the room. I will do this blueprint right now.

• Joe

Administrator
    February 16, 2022 at 10:33 am

Is there any cabinets in the kitchen I should know about? Maybe snap a pic of the kitchen or a pic of a quick drawing of where they are at.

• Susan

February 16, 2022 at 11:18 am

Thank you so much, I’m leaving the kitchen for the time being as it needs to be painted.

Page 1 of 2