Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Mark on May 1, 2021 at 8:02 pm

Hi Joe, Listen I have an old house(1905) with original wood floors under old 50’s tile,Tar paper over that used as a moisture barrier then padding and commercial carpet(I know not my idea). We are down to the OEM wood floors. I bought Laminate plank flooring and quite walk padding and have the tools to install the flooring but don’t know where I should start as its an L shape from the living to dining room with complex cuts around the exhaust chimney in the center of drawing. The house has settled over the years and the floors dip towards the center of the house. I know that you mentioned its a good idea to run long hallways or throughways longways and I agree. Carpet/wood flooring stays in marked areas in a drawing I have attached.

Respectfully,

Mark C.

Joe replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    May 3, 2021 at 9:00 am

Can you answer some questions for me? http://somup.com/crhe2cFakk

• Mark

May 4, 2021 at 10:55 am

Hi Joe, ok so the deleted just means that line gets deleted(couldn’t erase it) and that block on the right is the chimney/exhaust. We are wanting to run the planks North/South and you can see that the wood floor runs North/South and we feel would look much better running that way. I think you might agree. I have attached pictures of the steps, the floor North to south, the 8″ tall base boards and the front door jam drop off. I just need to know where to measure and start from in the living room. I mentioned the base boards because they join the floor leaving no space for error for an expansion joint. I can cut under the boxed in area shown in the base board pic but that’s about it. Also what do i use to join the bedroom to flooring since we are not doing that room in vinyl flooring? The planks are 6 15/16″ x 48″. I also bought Quite walk underlay and wanted to know in order to not cover a snap line how I should lay that down while installing the flooring?!

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Mark C.

• Mark

May 9, 2021 at 7:22 pm

Hello Joe, I’ am writing today because I have decided to add the bedroom to the installation of vinyl flooring in a different color. As far as transitioning into that room you mention you don’t like transitions so please direct me in that case. Now, I have a few issues with the bedroom floor I’d like to ask your expert advise on. #1 is a floor panel length had some moisture or other kind of deterioration that has broken away. #2 is there are 3 holes through the floor that need to be addressed. I did see that home depot sells wood plugs of limited size to maybe go that route with. Onto the main floor where you can see floor self leveling compound(Henry’s 544 leveling compound) has been put down, however there is still between 1/4-1/2′ gap under the level stretching approximately 2′. This area with the short wall is the chimney that comes out into the main floor I was thinking to pour one more bag of leveler in that area and feather it out to close that gap a little better. That way with using the quiet walk under lay the planks will flatten out much better there. A little play on on one side of the plank length is what i see now. By the way the planks are advertised as 7″ wide not 6 15/16″ as is what I measured on the face only measurement so would it be safe to say 7″ as advertised?! Also I saw that the stair nose for use with the front door opening only comes in 12″ lengths so Im guessing I’ll have to butt 2 of those up to complete the length of the opening?! Great idea using those for this purpose.

I have attached pis for you to see what Im talking about for each issue involved.

And as always God Bless,

Regards,

MarkC.

• Joe

Administrator
    May 4, 2021 at 11:53 am
  • Mark

May 4, 2021 at 11:57 pm

Very Informative Joe thank you! What would you suggest I use for the front door for capping off the the flooring because as you can see in the original wood floor it goes off into never never land!

• Joe

Administrator
    May 5, 2021 at 8:46 am
  • Joe

Administrator
    May 10, 2021 at 11:09 am

Watch this brother – http://somup.com/crh6DjFHWS