Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Where should I start – Post drawings and questions Ken May – drawing and starting point

• Ken May – drawing and starting point

Posted by Ken on June 14, 2021 at 7:49 pm

Joe,

Thanks for the great and thorough reply! I will try to answer all of your questions. If I miss one, let me know. Also, I rehung my drawing in this thread for easy reference.

Transitions – the kitchen is ceramic tile and it is staying. So, yes, I will use transitions going into the living room and the butler’s pantry from the kitchen.

Direction – I talked it over with my wife, and, yes, we are good with the direction you recommended. (“east and west” as you put it…or left to right along the drawing).

Pic from the dining room down to the sitting room – first, I realized as I watched your video that I left off a wall stub going into the sitting room. Right by the stairway, there is a 44″ entry going into the sitting room and there is a 12″ to 18″ wall stub perpendicular to the front wall a few feet to the left of the entry door. I will send you a pic of my hand jammed layout that I used to do the CAD drawing. I attached a pic showing from the dining room through to the sitting room.

Tongue and groove orientation of my flooring – I am installing Pergo Portfolio. I am sure you are familiar with it. Here is the issue I have right now: I am on the road. I am an active duty U.S. Army Chaplain and I just got back from being deployed for 12 months. We are taking leave to see family in Oklahoma (I am stationed in South Carolina) and won’t be back home till July 1st. When I get back, I can check the orientation of the tongue and groove and let you know.

Thank you so much for your help, and I look forward to working with you. Let me know if there is anything else I can answer.

I have some very good friends who live in Minnesota, but they are a bit south of you in St. Paul.

Ken

Ken replied 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Ken

June 14, 2021 at 7:56 pm

Oh, goodness…I also just realized I forgot to include the fireplace and the hearth! But you can see them on my hand drawing. I was in a bit of a hurry to get this posted before we got on the road. I always tell my kids…”When you rush to do something…you always end up taking twice as long!!” I guess I need to listen to myself!!

• Joe

Administrator
    June 15, 2021 at 7:45 am

Ok Ken, when you get back let me know on the tongue and groove and I will get this done for you. Happy to hear you are back, I am sure your family is very greatful that you are back and missed you. So have a great leave my brother!

• Ken

June 16, 2021 at 6:42 am

Thanks, Joe. Sounds good. I appreciate you.

• Ken

June 29, 2021 at 1:26 am

Joe,

I got back from vacation a couple of days early and am eager to get started on the floor!

Attached is a pic where I indicated the sides of my flooring planks that are tongue and groove.

Also, I have a question: When the flooring comes around both sides of the staircase, how will I make sure it is even for when I have to lay the first plank in the hallway behind the staircase?

Thanks!

Ken

• Joe

Administrator
    June 29, 2021 at 11:34 am

Here is your blueprint Ken – http://somup.com/cr1UDyqRCy

• Ken

June 30, 2021 at 2:53 pm

I need some quick help.

The instructions on the underlayment says that the underlayment seems must run perpendicular to the seems of the floor, but doing that will cover up my reference lines for starting the floor. Ideas?

• Ken

July 2, 2021 at 5:28 am

Joe, I have a little situation putting the piece against the transition from the Butler’s Pantry into the kitchen (tile). (I can see now I should have cut this piece earlier.). AND…the piece going from Butler’s Pantry back into the dining room is already under the door jam…so I would really like to not have to pull all that back up. The tongue of the piece I am installing is going into the plank on the floor and the groove will face the tile. Any ideas?

• Joe

Administrator
    July 2, 2021 at 6:00 am
  • Ken

July 2, 2021 at 6:21 am

Joe, excellent advice! I feel like a have a good handle on how to proceed. You do a great job of giving detailed, thorough explanations that are easy to understand.

I hope you have a great time with your family in your trip. God’s blessings and traveling mercies to you!!