Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by wcurtispreston on January 12, 2022 at 8:46 pm

I am looking to replace all flooring in my house with LVT using Mohawk Home LVT from Costco. I have uploaded drawings of the upstairs and downstairs layouts. Here is my plan. Am I crazy? We’re talking about 3100 sq ft here.
    1. Purchase enough LVT from Costco to cover entire downstairs. (I know upstairs may differ slightly, but with the elevation change I’m not too worried.)
    2. “Practice” installing LVT in the finished garage, replacing the carpet in there with LVT. This will include taking out and replacing the trim.
    3. Assuming all goes well, move on to the main living area. LR and FR are carpet. Rip those out. The kitchen, 1/2 bath and main thoroughfare are tile. I’m going to leave that for now.
    4. Snap a line down the middle of the tile, measuring from multiple places along the back wall.
    5. Use that snap line to install LVT in two (non-connected) rooms so that the final LVT row is the same distance from the snap line.
    6. Rent a tool to rip out the tile in the main area and laminate in the DR.
    7. Then it’s hog wild and finish the DS, followed by the stairs. I do the stairs up to the landing and then stop for a bit.
    8. Then in a separate phase, do upstairs. This phase will be much more disruptive, because it’s where everyone lives.

So… am I crazy?

Joe replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 13, 2022 at 7:49 am
  • wcurtispreston

January 13, 2022 at 1:50 pm

Awesome reply, Joe. Even though I’m a DIY person and have done many projects, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the service you provide. So happy to give you that money.

1. It’s Curtis. You chose wisely. 😉 I tell people Curt means short and rude.
    2. From a “first panel” perspective, I assume I need to measure back from the one door entrance I’m going to be going through (the office) so I don’t end up falling in the wrong place there, right?

3. Blueprint would be great. I’m using the Costco Mohawk Home Rivers’ Edge. I assume you know this one already, but here are pics of the end of a plank. I updated the drawing to reflect the rounded entryway and the two fireplaces. I also adjusted the tile a bit.

4. I like you “one row of tile” idea. The only reason I wasn’t going to do that was not renting that tool twice. But your idea of getting the Ryobi hammer chisel solves that problem. Done and done. :). I attached some pics so you can see that a single row of tile should do it.

5. I assume that means that for the FR, I’ll be working backward. (BTW, the family room is pretty straight on both sides, but there is a fireplace on the far wall in both the FR and LR.)

6. I’ve seen you use that string line in several of your videos, so I’m familiar with it. I guess I just don’t understand why you don’t just snap a chalk line.

7. Can you give me any time of time estimate for this project? Just the laying of the LVT part. I’m also going to redo the base molding and put a nicer one on there, but that can be done while people are living there. 🙂

• Joe

Administrator
    January 13, 2022 at 4:42 pm

I will get this done and have it to you tomorrow.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 14, 2022 at 8:50 am
  • wcurtispreston

April 20, 2022 at 1:09 am

Now that I’m getting closer to the install, I’ve watched this entire video again… Questions have arisen.

1. On a getting started video on youtube you listed a glue gun and glue sticks. Is that an alternative to the tapcon screws? Or should I just return them?

2. I noticed you didn’t seem concerned about how the planks were going to fall in the one doorway (the office in the upper right hand corner). Shouldn’t I take that into consideration as well, when deciding the big first line?

3. I know when the tile was laid when we bought the house, the installer put this big layer of pink stuff that was some kind of moisture barrier. Not sure how fun that is going to be to clean up. You made a comment (perhaps the one that worried me the most) about just laying down a bunch of thinset all over where the tile was.

4. Why?

5. Wouldn’t that cause a leveling problem between where the carpet is now and where the tile is?

6. LIke seriously? Cover the whole thing in thinset? That sounds like a huge job.

• Joe

Administrator
    April 20, 2022 at 6:44 am