Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Rachel on March 21, 2024 at 5:42 pm

We are planning to install roughly 2,000 sq. ft. of the Flooret Modin signature vinyl plank with QuietWalk LV padding in our slab on grade home. The concrete surface needs a good bit of evening out. We have started with grinding a few of the highest areas with an angle grinder using a diamond grinding blade and evened out some of the low spots with Ardex feather finish. Before we get too far into the project, we wanted to get some professional advice on plank direction and starting point. We are wanting to complete one room at a time to prevent damage to our prep-work and maintain some level of functionality of our home as it may take multiply weeks to complete the project.

The bathrooms are the only rooms not getting vinyl plank. The kitchen cabinets will be removed, and new ones installed after the flooring is done.

Thank you,

Rachel

Rachel replied 1 week, 1 day ago 2 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    March 22, 2024 at 9:26 am
  • Rachel

March 22, 2024 at 10:54 am

Hey, thank you so much for getting back to us.

My name is pronounced the traditional way and my husband’s name is Robert.

So the house is all one level, all one concrete pad. The Big Room looks like it could have been a garage maybe on a blueprint, but I don’t think it was ever used for one on this house.

Another thing to note is that we live in the almost tropics of Texas and our slab gets wet. This is something I have worried about a lot. So like if I leave something plastic like a mat or trash bag on the floor for a couple of days, when I move it there is a damp area the shape of the object. We bought the house 3 yrs ago after it had been abandoned for a while. The previous owners tried to replace the flooring with cheep adhesive vinyl plank. I don’t know how long it worked for them, but by the time we got it, it was all bubbled up, not adhered to the floor much at all. Anyway, it makes me nervous to think we might end up with problems because of this too. Do you think that is something I should worry about?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Rachel.
  • Joe

Administrator
    March 25, 2024 at 9:31 am
    • Rachel

March 25, 2024 at 10:07 am

There is no break. No exterior door, its like any other room in the house. Sorry for not being clear previously.

• Joe

Administrator
    March 25, 2024 at 12:05 pm
    • Rachel

March 25, 2024 at 2:07 pm

Is there an aesthetic reason to pick any direction over another?

I am going to post pictures in different messages

• Rachel

March 25, 2024 at 2:15 pm

Here’s the parlor. In the first picture you can see the front door to one side. The first two pictures were taken before we started tearing up the house. The last picture is from today, so it’s kinda a mess, but that is the view just entering the front door.

• Rachel

March 25, 2024 at 2:19 pm

Here are pictures of the Great Room. Again the first three pictures are the normal layout before starting the more extensive remodel projects. The last one is from today and you will notice the removal of six or seven ft of wall that divided the kitchen from the rest of the room

• Rachel

March 25, 2024 at 2:28 pm
      • Rachel

March 25, 2024 at 2:24 pm

And Here are the pictures of the laundry-room. The first picture is the view of the laundry room from the kitchen side of the Great Room. The second picture is from within the laundry room looking toward the Big Room. The last picture is from the Big Room toward the laundry room. These are from today and I’m sorry it’s such a mess. Hopefully they are still helpful.

• Joe

Administrator
    March 26, 2024 at 7:16 am

Is there an aesthetic reason to pick any direction over another?

Not really. However, we usually like to run the plank with the longest walls. Because it can go either direction, it is really based more on what you think looks best.

If this was my house, I would run the plank East and West.

• Rachel

March 27, 2024 at 2:47 pm

We will be going East to West as you recommend. That will be the most feasible for our remodel schedule to start in the Great Room in front of the fireplace. The dates that you mentioned are probably taken by now, sorry it took so long to get back with you on that, but I do want to make sure Robert and I can both be available for it. What days would work now? My husband runs a service business so it can be difficult to know what times can work during the day, so early mornings and later in the evenings are going to be best. (We are in the central time zone, btw)

We are really looking forward to it.

• Joe

Administrator
        April 2, 2024 at 11:25 am

Good morning! I am going to start this soon and will post the video right after.

• Joe

Administrator
    March 27, 2024 at 5:42 pm

You don’t need to be present. I will record it and send a link to the video. It will be just like the videos I have been making for you. Then you can just post questions that you might have. I am booked tomorrow and I will schedule it for Tuesday. If I can do it sooner I will let you know. Thanks for getting back to me.

• Joe

Administrator
    April 2, 2024 at 3:37 pm

Here is your blueprint – https://somup.com/cZfnYACwi1

• Rachel

April 20, 2024 at 7:28 pm

Thank you so much for your thorough video. We truly and earnestly appreciate your heart-felt prayer for us. We are so happy to see that God is turning hearts to honor him in thought word and deed, in the marketplace as well as the church. We will probably have some questions as we get started with the project.

• Joe

Administrator
    April 2, 2024 at 3:38 pm

Here is the video I referred to – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UII0yYikEe8