Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep Flooret Craftsman over existing hardwood floor

• Flooret Craftsman over existing hardwood floor

Posted by evschoono on February 25, 2024 at 12:15 pm

Hi Joe! I started this project with my brother and was fairly confident. We finished a large section of my 1100 sqft house and that was the L shaped living/dining area. I was walking around and inspecting our work and was barefoot, which is when I noticed the floor had a noticeable slope underfoot. Due to the hardwood subfloor, of course. My utter inability to understand Flooret’s installation instructions of the subfloor not to vary ‘more than 3/16th of an inch over 10 feet’ is laughable. So, I could use your help extrapolating that to what I found with my 6 ft level. Pics are sequential and should have the info you need in it to understand what I’m talking about. The high side is from the steel joist below the floor that runs parallel with the direction I’ve laid the floor – which is also the direction of the original hardwood boards. I will run into this issue again, I have found, in my bedroom where there is a 2nd steel joist underneath.

I have also attached a couple of pics of what the long side of the LVP locking mechanism looks like in some places and it concerns me. Mostly everywhere we’ve laid the flooring, the edges fit tight. Some look like pic 5 – is this a problem? Also, pic 5 is specifically the seam where the slope starts – on the other side of the steel beam. Other boards that I have found these tiny gaps on the long edge are not on slopes, though.

Lastly – I found a video on youtube where you pulled up the flooring you installed for a customer, and then screwed down the hardwood boards. Was it solely because the boards were too squeaky for the customer? I don’t see any nails in my boards, for the most part, so I assume they are glued down. They squeak some, but it doesn’t bother me. Should I still screw them down because they will eventually shift under the LVP and cause issues with the integrity of the floating system? With a 40 mil wearlayer, I hope not to have to replace this ever, but would like to preserve the hardwood just in case I want to refinish one day. Thanks so much for looking!

Joe replied 2 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies