Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep Floor Prep Plywood Underlayment

• Floor Prep Plywood Underlayment

Posted by Larry on October 26, 2022 at 5:13 pm

Floor Prep Question Plywood Underlayment

Hi Joe,

I am looking for your advice on my floor prep procedure.

I’m starting to prep the floor for LVP. I have around 1000 sq ft of flooring to replace.

I am planning to install plywood underlayment over the existing vinyl stick on tile. I started to remove the existing stick on tile which turned out to be quite tedious. I would like to avoid pulling up all of the stick on tile.

I would staple the plywood underlayment down with crown staples over the existing vinyl tile.

Lowes has this product:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/RevolutionPly-5mm-Poplar-Plywood-Application-as-4-x-8/50121135

HomeDepot has this product:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-5-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Hardwood-Plywood-Underlayment-Specialty-Panel-431178/203183010

might be 3 ply instead of 5 ply

The subfloor is 5/8 T&G plywood nailed and glued to the floor joists

The worst part of the living room floor is shown in pics #20,21 “Living Room Floor Patch” The dip is about 5/16” where the plywood patch was installed. I was thinking of floating a floor patch compound there that wouldn’t crumble when a staple is used.

The typical dip or hump where the subfloor was nailed at seams is about 3/16 “

Shown in Pics #22,23 “Living Room Typical Dip”

Not sure how to proceed on these dips. I could install the underlayment and if the dip persisted, use thinset to float out.

Alternatively, I could remove the stick on tiles where the nailing seams are and sand down that part of the subfloor. The main problem with this is that the glue residue left over would make it very hard to sand down and it would also involve removing quite a few tiles.

Thanks in advance for your help

LarryB

Joe replied 1 year, 1 month ago 2 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Larry

October 26, 2022 at 5:21 pm
  • Joe

Administrator
    October 27, 2022 at 7:44 am
  • Larry

October 28, 2022 at 1:28 am

Floor Prep Question Plywood Underlayment #2

Hi Joe,
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I really appreciate your help.

The existing stick on vinyl tile is a very thin product approx 3/64″. The tile is about 30 years old. Most of it is adhered to the subfloor quite well and is very hard to remove. I have used a multitool which works OK but is very time consuming. I have also used the heating method using a couple of irons which works well to loosen the glue but still takes me about 5 minutes per tile.

If you have any suggestions on a better method to remove the sticky tile please let me know. There are a few tiles that are somewhat loose where the glue has dried up and those tiles can be brittle and easy to remove.

Concerning tile breakup, I can test a few tiles with staples to see if they hold together to get a better idea how they would take the underlayment staples.

Concerning the subfloor area shown in pics #20,21 “Living Room Floor Patch” Can I use tar paper to build up that area instead of floor patch compound before installing the plywood underlayment?

I am planning to install LVP in the Living Room, Bedroom #1, Bedroom #2, Hallway and Loft. Also I was thinking of using LVP on the stairway landings. I will redo the stairs with oak treads after the main flooring install.

Another question concerns how LVP would handle temperature differences in the floor. The wood stove can get quite hot when in use and the floor in front of the stove heats up more than the rest of the floor in the Living Room. The hearth measures 27 1/2″ X 54 1/2″ . Possibly leave an extra bit of expansion gap around the hearth?

Would it be OK to prep and lay flooring 1 room at a time to minimize moving furniture around or would it be best to complete all the room prep first?

The Laundry Room could use new flooring also but I am not sure how a floating floor would work in that room as there are 2 heavy work benches, washer and dryer and a heavy cabinet there. We could revisit that later if you feel that LVP would work in there.

I uploaded more pics.
    Thanks again

LarryB

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Larry. Reason: Spelling
  • Larry

October 28, 2022 at 1:31 am

Here are the rest of the pics

LarryB

• Joe

Administrator
    October 28, 2022 at 9:21 am
    • Larry

November 30, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Floor Prep Question Plywood Underlayment #3

Hi Joe,

I am ready to start installing the 1/5” plywood underlayment in the first room. Pulling up the old vinyl stick on tiles has been going slowly. I rented the small floor stripper from home depot but I was gouging out chunks of the subfloor so I went back to the heating method to loosen the glue and pull up the tiles.

The subfloor is 5/8 T&G plywood, nailed and glued to the floor joists. The surface is quite sticky from the residual glue left over from the vinyl tiles.

I have a few questions on the best way to proceed:

Do you recommend using construction adhesive along with stapling the plywood to the subfloor ? If you think I should use construction adhesive do you have a preference?

If I don’t need to use construction adhesive is it OK to put down a layer of tar paper between the subfloor and the plywood underlayment? This would make it easier to move the underlayment into position.

What type of crown staples should I use?

Can I use something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1-4-in-x-5-8-in-x-18-Gauge-Crown-Staples-2500-Pieces-DNS18063-2/205647405

Or should I get the galvanized type of crown staple?

Thanks

Larry

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2022 at 10:21 am
    • Larry

February 25, 2023 at 6:13 pm

Floor Prep Plywood Underlayment #4

Hi Joe,

I have been stapling down the ply underlayment and I have a few places where I need to build up the subfloor to get flatness close.

The first pic shows where I have put down 4 layers of 30lb tar paper to bring up the level of the subfloor to get the flatness close

The second pic shows the ply underlayment down. I put in temp screws to hold it down to be able to check with a level

Do you think it is OK to put that many layers of tar paper down? When I walk on the area it seems it doesn’t feel as firm as the other areas where there is no tar paper. It’s almost as if it feels a bit cushy from the tar paper. The underlayment ply is just screwed down with a few screws and not stapled yet which may have something to do with the feel underfoot.

I am not adverse to using thinset or some other method to raise the level but I don’t know what product could handle a lot of staples penetrating the product. I could also screw the underlayment in this area down is that is something you recommend

• Joe

Administrator
    February 27, 2023 at 8:37 am
    • Larry

February 27, 2023 at 9:23 am

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think it is better to use Ardex Feather Finish as opposed to Henry’s 549 ?

I can order the Ardex online from Tools4Flooring or get the 549 from Home Depot.

I’ve placed an order with Tools4Flooring before and I will also need to get the Carpet Flooring Adhesive from them. I saw you recommended that product to use on gluing LVP to stairs

LarryB

• Joe

Administrator
    February 27, 2023 at 10:28 am

I do.