Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Flooring Reviews Enginneried hardwood with SPC/HDPC

• Enginneried hardwood with SPC/HDPC

Posted by Craig on December 19, 2022 at 3:59 am

I have done lots of research on flooring and have settled on the above. Original recommendation was from Jeff of Home Renovisiion (in Ontario). He calls it a breakthrough. I like the fact that is engineering hardwood, so we can call it a wood floor and it has no repeats, with each plank original. The original manufacturer is Wellmade (in China originally but I think they are making it in Georgia now) but it is private labeled and sold by lots of suppliers: Wayfair, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Costco, Builders Direct, etc. Each supplier generally has their own title for the product line and their own product color names. So it was a lot of work to find the links, but I am convinced it is the same thing (they use the same Wellmade photos). The one my family likes is a white oak, 5″ width, 7 mm thick, with a 1.2 mm wear layer, an attached 1.0 mm vinyl padding, and 5.8 mm HDPC core. I can provide links if anyone is interested. It was sold for $4.04/sq ft in November but I didn’t jump on it. Now the cheapest is $4.59 at Home Depot. Wayfair offered it a week plus ago for $3.59 and I bought my 1200+ square feet but they cancelled the order several days after they charged my credit card–said they were losing money at that price.

Craig replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    December 19, 2022 at 10:23 am

Hey Craig! I have tested several of these type of plank and I am also very impressed with it. I do believe this will be the future of engineered wood flooring. I am really considering putting some of this in my own house. I hope they can keep the price competitive with vinyl plank, otherwise I do not think it will gain much more traction. I would also like to see more random sized plank in the future.

• Craig

December 19, 2022 at 2:06 pm

From what I heard, it comes in three sizes. I plan to begin installing mine in about a month in a townhome we bought in the Denver area. Just came back from a trip there and I have the floors of the two bedrooms on the main level prepped (tore out carpeting, pads, and tack strips). Also painted the ceilings of these rooms. I listen to your videos nearly every day and appreciate your advice and passion!

• Craig

January 25, 2023 at 2:09 am

This flooring (at least the one I have chosen) is on sale at Costco / Golden Arowana for three days, ending Jan. 26, by far the best price I have seen on the sites I track.

https://goldenarowanaflooring.com/pages/not-authorized

I think you need a membership at Costco to take advantage of this.