Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Jordan on November 29, 2021 at 5:51 pm

Hey Joe,

First off thanks so much for the help and direction, I just finished the upstairs and am very happy with it. One question I had, a few of the joints are rather close to others several rows away, but I didn’t realize until I was all done. My planks are drop lock, so removing them is a pretty big pain. Do you think I’ll be okay? You can see in the attached photo through the two doors.

I’ve also attached a drawing of our downstairs, here are some details:

1) The entryway is raised 1 step above the living room, and two steps above the dining room. It’s on a mud bed, so we were thinking of feathering in the grout lines and just going over this tile.

2) The lowest level (fire place room, hallway, closet/pantry bathroom and office is a mix of large format tiles and diy tiles with very close joints and small 1 inch slivers along the walls. We were planning on ripping all this out and starting fresh on the concrete slab.

3) The kitchen is tile over linoleum I think, so we were also planning on ripping all of that out to lay fresh on the concrete. Obviously remove all the carpet too.

4) Not really sure logistically what is easiest for all of our appliances. We will rent a breaker + trolley + floor attachment to help with the demo, but still need to move washer, dryer, fridge, dishwasher somewhere. Any tips?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Jordan

Joe replied 1 year, 12 months ago 2 Members · 41 Replies
  • 41 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    November 30, 2021 at 10:24 am
  • Jordan

November 30, 2021 at 11:05 am

Hey Joe, Thanks for the quick response. Here are some photos of the step downs.

Ill get back to you later today with the direction we want to go.

Thanks again!

• Jordan

November 30, 2021 at 3:09 pm

Hey Joe, do you think it would be odd if we had the large carpeted area and kitchen running north/south, but the raised entryway and fireplace room running east/west?

• Joe

Administrator
    November 30, 2021 at 4:22 pm

I don’t think it would look odd with your situation, meaning the way your house has all the step ups and step down. It would definitely stand out.

• Jordan

November 30, 2021 at 4:54 pm

Hey Joe, We decided to run everything north/south on all the levels, I think it will help tie them all together a bit as well.

Do you need any more info for this blueprint?

Thanks again!

Jordan

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2021 at 8:50 am

Is it the same plank as upstairs?

• Jordan

December 1, 2021 at 10:50 am

Yes, same plank.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2021 at 11:47 am

Hope to have this late today, but tomorrow for sure.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Here is your blueprint – http://somup.com/crlVr50vUt

here is a link I mentioned(watch at 22:40) – https://youtu.be/6eZHHSzI7Qo

• Jordan

December 1, 2021 at 4:37 pm

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the blueprint. I already have a hammer drill so Ill probably go with the tapcon method. Ive attached some pics of the fireplace and kitchen area. The kitchen is on the same level as the large carpetted living room, so I will probably just flow it into the kitchen after finishing the living room area?

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2021 at 4:42 pm

I will shoot another video of going into the kitchen. I will have that tomorrow.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 2, 2021 at 11:15 am

Here is the redo for the kitchen and livingroom – http://somup.com/crlnb20wLK

• Jordan

December 8, 2021 at 5:32 pm

Hey Joe,

Thanka for updated blueprint. Im doing demo, the tiles are popping up but i was wondering, do i need to remove the glued down vinyl as well, or just lay the lvp on top of it? It seems very well glued down.

Thanks!

Jordan

• Joe

Administrator
    December 8, 2021 at 5:35 pm

Yes, you can leave that down.

• Jordan

December 12, 2021 at 2:05 pm

Hey Joe,

Got the tile ripped up and now have a few more questions for you.

1) i have lots of cracks and humps that are all between 1/4-5/8 height difference over about 4 feet. They are in the large fireplace room and the office. I know you generally recommend against self leveling compounds, but Im not sure i can grind or build this up to a level floor.

2) i rented a floor grinder to remove the last bit of thinset, but there are still some patches where i guess the concrete was lower, but since it was smaller than the bit i used it is now flat with the concrete. Is this ok?

3) in the kitchen, a bit of the old floor came up. Is it okay to feather this out with ardex, or better to try and rip up the rest of the floor?

Page 1 of 3