Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Jordan

February 21, 2022 at 1:58 pm

Hey Joe,

I’m not sure if I messed up installing, but I have about a dozen joints that make a loud popping sound when you walk on them.

If I push down on some of the louder ones you can even see them move. I’m worried that my floor is compressing too much with the quiet walk, I haven’t had this issue upstairs. Or did I screw up on installing? I’m on the final stretch in the kitchen, but most of the floor is already put together.

Here’s some pictures with two loud joints that are near the edge, but like I said I have about a dozen that I’ve found so far.

Is there any fix for this? I saw some youtubes with suction cups to pull the joint apart and then add glue in there, is that worth trying? Or just living with the loud popping/movement and hoping gaps don’t open up?

Any thoughts on what may have caused this or a solution? I did outsource the floor prep for all of the concrete grinding, and when I went around and checked their work with a level it looked very flat so I don’t think the prep was the issue.

• Joe

Administrator
    February 22, 2022 at 8:52 am
  • Jordan

February 22, 2022 at 5:02 pm

Hey Joe,

Sent you a video in your email.

I’m using this quietwalk: https://www.homedepot.com/p/QuietWalk-360-sq-ft-6-ft-x-60-ft-x-3-mm-Underlayment-with-Sound-and-Moisture-Barrier-for-Laminate-and-Engineered-Floors-QW360B1LT/307956358

Also, I did an experiment with some scraps, Installed them on a peice of quietwalk, then stood and walked over the joint several times for a few minutes, specifically with my heel. I was able to make the scraps make the same noise as the ~dozen loud planks. When I disassembled, neither the tongue nor groove was broken, but there was some dust in the snapping area, like a very small part broke off.

Based on what you were saying, and that this test sample wasn’t broken, do you think I’ll be okay doing nothing and hoping they wear in?

Thanks again.

Jordan

• Jordan

February 23, 2022 at 12:03 am

Looks like I’m using the wrong quiet walk and should be using the black one.

• Joe

Administrator
    February 23, 2022 at 8:34 am

Can you do the same test on the plank without pad?

• Joe

Administrator
    February 23, 2022 at 8:43 am

I really don’t think using the blue vs. the black quiet walk is the problem.

• Jordan

February 23, 2022 at 9:39 am

Hi Joe,

I tried redoing the test with fresh scraps and could not repeat the sound on the bare concrete. It also feels much more solid (obviously). However, i took the same assembly of three planks and put it on the quiet walk and now i also cannot repeat the sound.

Not really sure what my next steps are. The floor with the issues was installed over New Years, and i feel like it’s only getting louder.

• Jordan

April 27, 2022 at 6:16 pm

Hey Joe,

Just wanted to update you here, a few gaps started to open up, in the end I ended up ripping it all out and hiring somebody to come in and re-do in the interest of time and feeling burnt out.

I think the mistake I made was using the thicker pad made it much easier to break joints while hammering them together, which is my current theory for what happened. That combined with hearing joints break when wheeling heavy appliances around made me want to replace it.

When redoing it we used a 6mil poly vapor barrier to save some cost, and it feels a lot more solid underneath and is quieter.

I did have a question on the stairs, the guys used loctite pl premium3x on the stairs, but the bottom two stairs seem to not be holding very well. Can I get your opinion on this, would you consider this normal/acceptable? Pretty sure I can pull of the nosing and re-glue with masterweld (or call them and have them do it).

Thanks for all the coaching and help, bummed I messed up but it is what it is.

Jordan

• Joe

Administrator
    April 28, 2022 at 4:36 am

It needs to be glued again. I will call them back.

Page 3 of 3