Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Where should I start – Post drawings and questions Demo an existing floor with 1/2 inch thick underlayment

• Demo an existing floor with 1/2 inch thick underlayment

Posted by KAM on November 16, 2022 at 4:45 pm

Hey Joe. I watched the video called How to Demo Vinyl and 1/4 Inch Underlayment, then took a look at my floors with vinyl sheet flooring. The underlayment is 1/2 inch thick, perhaps because the existing floor was installed over the previous floor? I prefer to install the LVP directly on the main subfloor. Is there a reason I shouldn’t remove all the underlayment?

Also, the doorjamb has been undercut 15 mm from the main subfloor (circled in red); however my planks are 7 mm thick including the attached pad. Do you have any suggestions how to fill the gap that will remain after installing the new floor?

Joe replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    November 16, 2022 at 6:13 pm

Yes, you can remove that 1/2 plywood. The jambs can be filled with a paintable caulk after the plank is installed. Once it dries you can then paint to match the rest of the jamb.

• KAM

November 23, 2022 at 9:05 am

Thank you for answering my previous questions so quickly – very much appreciated. Now I have a couple more.

1. What ratio of water to Ardex do you use? I purchased the 10 lb bag. I am asking because I read how some people claim to have followed the instructions on the bag but the consistency was like clay. In your videos, the Ardex flows nicely and is easy to trowel.

2. What is your take on putting down a layer of tar paper before installing the LVP? The plank has an attached pad.

Joe, may God continue to abundantly bless you and your family during this Thanksgiving and beyond. I appreciate you, your witness for Jesus, and LU.

• Joe

Administrator
    November 23, 2022 at 9:54 am
  • KAM

December 28, 2022 at 7:21 pm

Hey Joe. I am down to the subfloor in the bathroom; however, there is an 1/8 inch low spot around the toilet flange (photo 1). The flange is currently 1/2 inch above the floor, and my plank is 7 mm (1/4 in) thick.

Should I fill the low spot with Ardex? If so, that will leave the flange about 1/8 inch above the plank. Would that require me to raise the height of the flange? If so, how do I do it?

The second photo is the plank on the floor without Ardex.

Thank you. Blessings.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 29, 2022 at 10:01 am

You will not need to raise the flange in that situation.