Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Curtis’s weird living room. :)

Posted by wcurtispreston on July 18, 2022 at 10:48 pm

Hi, Joe. After long last, I’m finally ready to beginning laying out my tile. I have your blueprint, but I’m wondering about a slight modification, and Iike your advice. As you can see in the drawings, the really unique thing about my house is this round entry way that is like a circle chopped right in the middle. I took a couple of photos so you could see it better.

Check out the drawing w/the red squares.

If I ignore the doorway and layout the tile for the best layout for the rooms, I get 3″ at C, 5.1″ at D, 2.45″ at F, 3.5″ at E. (Roughly the same overlap on both sides of the big walls & stairs. The half-wall will get 5.1″, which is NOT centered but it’s not a tiny strip either. That wall is typically hidden by a couch as well, so no biggy.). But here’s the problem. I end up w/a very off-center entryway. A is 3.5 at the widest part of the circle, G is 1.275 (yuck), B is 6.75″, H is 4.45″). Oh, and with this plan, there’s a 2″ border at the end of the fireplace.

I THINK I should make that rounded entry perfectly square on both sides. If I do that, I get 2.45″ for A & G, and 5.6″ at B & H. But that means I have a 1.88″ strip at C, 6.25″ at D, 3.6″ at F, 2.35″ at E. With this plan, there’s 3.22″ border in front of the fireplace.

I’m leaning towards the second plan. The long wall isn’t that long. it’s broken up by the fireplace. And I think having that round entryway really square is important. And if I do it the other way, the short side (with the 1.275 bit) is right in front of you…. The door hides the bigger one… I am TORN.

Joe replied 1 year, 9 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    July 19, 2022 at 9:06 am
    • wcurtispreston

July 19, 2022 at 1:20 pm

You make some good points.

1. The door isn’t centered, so does the tile need to be?
      2. The shortest bit (1.25″) will indeed be short due to the curved wall.

3. It will likely be hidden by shoes, etc. (In fact, I’ve thought of making a custom shoe station to fit in that spot.)

I think I’m going to go back to the original plan where everything is much more centered on all the walls except for the half wall.

BTW… I thought I’d share with you this spreadsheet I made for figuring out my plank layout. Each row is a wall-to-wall distance I needed to calculate. All I have to do is enter the total distance and the width of 10 planks. It calculates how many planks it will take (first in multiples of 10, then in additional planks, then it shows the width of the final plank.). You can then play with the width of the first plank to see what it does to the width at the other end of the room.

You can see in one row that if I start w/a full plank in the Living room, I’ll end up with a 1/2″ plank on the other side. But if I put 3″ as the starting plank width, I get 5.1″ on the other side. I could get 4 and 4, but if I do then the other walls are a bit off.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_vXjd70MfOYxIQIiiXIbiZ8cH5JMhpshLtj8rg02DGM/edit?usp=sharing

Just thought you might find it interesting

• Joe

Administrator
    July 19, 2022 at 3:12 pm

Wow! Good stuff my friend!