Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums General Choosing a Vinyl Plank & getting started

Tagged: ,

• Choosing a Vinyl Plank & getting started

Posted by Bill on November 22, 2022 at 10:52 pm

Hi everyone – I see the getting started section starts with the prep for the plank installation. I’m still in the phase where i’m choosing a flooring so I can order it (and have some preliminary prep work underway in parallel).

It seems I have few options for flooring. My house isn’t air conditioned. I have electric baseboards and wood stoves. As a result, some rooms are cool, some warm, and the heated rooms can vary from 60-ish to 70’s during any given winter day. In the summer it can be over 100 and very dry.

As a result (and due to cost) I’ve ruled out hardwood (real and engineered) and had read that vinyl plank is the way to go in this situation. However I’m finding the manufacturer warranties even for vinyl plank void the warranty if their products are installed in a non-air-conditioned space.

I’ve found a couple possibilities that may be ok here: One is the Duravana line by LL Flooring. That seems good but there are reports of people having issues with chipping. Another is Nucor by Floor & Decor, which appears to be more expensive (and the store is far enough away that they won’t deliver to my location). I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada.

I plan to visit both places tomorrow (Tue Nov 23) to see what they say. I’d really like to place an order before the Black Friday sales end, and am anxious to get the project going (and completed). I am doing the whole living area (LR, Kitchen, Bedrooms) (though not sure yet about bathrooms), approx 1,300 sq ft.

Do you have any thoughts on my situation and how best to proceed with a flooring that will stand up to the temperature variations in my home? Is there a “pre-product-purchase” guide? 🙂

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Bill. Reason: added missing text
    Bill replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    November 23, 2022 at 8:23 am

There are many vinyl plank selections that would be fine in this situation. Have you looked at Mannington Rigid? Look for a plank that is an SPC and not a WPC for your situation and you will be good to go. I would also look at NuCore Performance, this is a great product. Duravana is ok, but I would honestly look at the Coreluxe line before choosing Duravana. I think a Vinyl plank is a better choice.

• Bill

November 23, 2022 at 9:57 am

Thanks for the feedback Joe. It seems the manufacturers aren’t always clear about the SPC vs WPC core. Because of where I live, and the distance from any major metro area, getting product shipped is a challenge, so my options are a bit limited.

I’ll check out CoreLux. If that will be ok in my environment it might be my preference simply because they will ship it to me. Nucore would require me to spend $hundreds on a truck rental (rental fee + mileage cost + gas) to go pick it up myself. I haven’t seen Mannington but I’ll check to see if it’s available nearby.

• Bill

November 23, 2022 at 10:01 am

p.s. also I have 2 young cats who love zoomies with their claws for traction … so a scratch-resistant surface is key too. 🙂