Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums General Can a wall sit on the laminate?

• Can a wall sit on the laminate?

Posted by Robert on March 14, 2021 at 6:28 pm

Hi Joe,

I got the laminate floor done and thanks to your instructions, it centered down the hallway and looked so good that we continued into 2 bedrooms. Couldn’t have tackled this without your help and videos. And particularly that there were inevitably going to be some tough situations and how they should be handled (plane and glue is a life saver). The fact that I knew those issues were going to arise kept my blood pressure down, since I didn’t have to beat myself up that I did something wrong and should have done something different.

Now that the floor is down in the living room, we want to install an electric fireplace and shelving and/or cabinets. So I will be building a non load bearing wall in front of the current wall to insert the fireplace. Likely it will be about 10 inches deep and 10 feet wide. Think of it as a built in wall unit. It will be affixed to the current wall and also sit on the floor for support. Do you think it is ok to sit this on the laminate? I know that I can’t nail the cleat down through the laminate to the subfloor. Can I silicone it down? Will it cause a problem with the expansion/contraction of the floor?

Thanks

Robert replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    March 15, 2021 at 8:42 am

I think it will be good to sit on it and silicone it. It would be easy enough to cut the floor out in that area where the wall goes with a circular saw and or an oscillating saw.

• Robert

March 15, 2021 at 9:59 am

Thanks Joe,

I was considering cutting it out, but there is a chance that this would be removed a few years from now and I would prefer not to try to patch the floor back in. I’ll give silicon a shot.

Thanks for your help.