Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• touhey.brian

January 14, 2024 at 8:46 pm

Hi, I do not know why the URL is in multiple places nor why I seem unable to edit the post. I apologize for the weirdness of that post.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 15, 2024 at 4:18 pm
    • touhey.brian

January 16, 2024 at 8:02 pm

Hi Joe,

Everything was clear in my head, but did not transfer to my post. Sorry about that.

That black box on the subfloor is an area that I need to sand down. You can ignore that and any other marks on the subfloor. I am still working on getting the subfloor level and screwed down to stop the squeaks.

The post, balusters and railing are staying exactly where they are. That last piece of hardwood flooring will be removed to expose the subfloor, fingers crossed tomorrow morning. My 3year old twins are not fans of loud noises nor me working and not playing during play time on the weekends. Play time is anytime they are awake, according to them. That is the last piece of old flooring to come up in the hallway. I wanted to carefully cut it away with a multi tool to see how the balusters were installed. I believe that I will have to replace the balusters as I believe there will be a height difference between the old hardwood floor and the new lvp floor. I am hopeful that I can reuse the balusters, but I do think they will be too short and will be unable to use them again. This is why I want to carefully remove them, just in case I can reuse them.

After I wrote the initial post, I did tell my wife that I expected you to recommend the overlapping bull nose. I have watched other blueprint videos and your video on stairs. I even played her some of your video on using the overlapping stair nose after I made that post, figuring she would want to hear it in your voice. She said that she doesn’t like the look of the overlapping bullnose at all. She does understand about the space for expansion though. She reminded me a lot about that when doing the bathrooms. She did order the overlapping bullnose today before we watched your latest video to see how it will look in person. It should be here in a couple days.

When you planned the bathrooms for me there were areas where I think I remember you stating that I could get closer than the 1/4 inch and it should not be an issue. This was against the bottom of the vanity and the tub. You suggested cutting both locking systems to create a 2nd cheater board to use. Does the LV tile not expand as much as LVP or are smaller rooms or bathrooms not a place where expansion is really concerned?

I do plan on getting the last of the flooring off tomorrow and will upload pictures and provide my thoughts for that area.

Thanks,

Brian

• Joe

Administrator
    January 17, 2024 at 7:59 am
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 18, 2024 at 8:10 am
  • touhey.brian

January 27, 2024 at 9:25 pm

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the time you are putting into this. I was not expecting this to be as complicated, but I am appreciative of your wisdom and being able to identify things that warrant attention up front. We did get the overlapping stair nose and after staring at the stairs for what was probably hours, I cut the bullnose to see what a 45 would look like. I tried to attach pictures of the test piece, but it would not work. I’ll try again tomorrow. We do like the way this looks and have decide to move in this direction.

We will use the overlapping stair nose at the top of the stairs for all of it, using 45s at the inside and outside corners. I’ll need to figure out how to cut get the shape and cut that small return piece, with your wisdom, I hope.

What do I use as a shim under the overlapping stair nose?

Do I just drill the right size hole in the plank for the spindles?

I think I mentioned it before, we do want to make sure that the planks are parallel with the bullnose so it all looks right when coming up the stairs. I am not sure if that aligns with keeping them straight in the hallway along the walls. I need to draw some lines and measure. Have you found that the hallway will line up with the top of the stair? I wished I looked before we took the hardwood floor up.

Do I need to fill any gaps between the subfloor boards? does it matter of they are perpendicular or parallel to how the planks will lay? What about gouges in the floor from pulling up the hardwood floor?

What additional info do you need from me or what else do we need to think of?

Thanks,

Brian

• touhey.brian

January 27, 2024 at 9:27 pm
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 29, 2024 at 9:06 am
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 31, 2024 at 5:16 pm

I will get this to you tomorrow Brian.

• Joe

Administrator
    February 2, 2024 at 10:43 am
    • touhey.brian

February 2, 2024 at 2:01 pm

Hi Joe,

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

I am good to start in bedroom 3. Whatever you think best . . and easiest.

Thanks,

Brian

• Joe

Administrator
    February 5, 2024 at 4:24 pm

Here is your blueprint – https://somup.com/cZnh33piUh