Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Where should I start – Post drawings and questions Blueprint Request – Stefanie’s DIY

• Blueprint Request – Stefanie’s DIY

Posted by slh731 on June 27, 2022 at 7:41 pm

Hello Joe,

I’ve been working my way through your videos online – they’re so helpful and informative for this first-time DIY’er!

I am redoing the flooring on the first floor of my three story townhome – it’s about 400sf and is all on a concrete slab. Thus far I’ve been able to easily remove the carpet and with the help of a floor stripper, remove the linoleum from the bathroom; but I will need to hire a professional to get the glued down engineered hardwood from the last 200 sf. (I tried all day on Friday and lost the fight). I think it was installed with glue to withstand an apocalypse because after hours of work, I hadn’t made any progress.

I’m installing Pergo Timbercraft WetProtect + laminate over Pergo Gold underlayment. (Pictures of Pergo planks are attached).

I’d like to install the planks “east to west” or long ways down the hallway.

A few questions to start:

(1) In the bathroom, what should I use to fill in that hole next to the drain for the toilet? The linoleum was installed around the toilet (not under it) so I do not have any idea what to do.

(2) What do I do if I cannot get all the glue up out of the bathroom? I’m planning to get all of it removed; but what if there are any sections I cannot completely remove? I have Sentinel 747; but haven’t opened it yet so please let me know if there is something else you’d recommend.

(3) Can I use a mitre saw to cut the Pergo planks? (That’s what I have already). I also have a jigsaw and oscillating tool for cutting the more detailed sections and undercutting the doorframes, etc.

Thank you so much!

Stefanie

Joe replied 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • slh731

June 27, 2022 at 7:45 pm

Here are the photos of the planks and the bathroom concern referenced in point (1) above. The last two photos are of the underside of the plank as the photos from the top were not showing detail. Please let me know if these aren’t showing the details you need. Thank you!

• Joe

Administrator
    June 28, 2022 at 10:01 am
    • slh731

June 28, 2022 at 7:43 pm

Hi Joe,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly and answering my questions! Really appreciate it! This is a big undertaking for my first project and I feel like I’m in great hands with all of your guidance and recommendations.

Here are responses to your questions along with photos of the space.

With respect to the bathroom floor, there is some paper backing, etc., so I will try to get as much of that off as I can so it’s not bumpy and then use the Henry’s to skim coat if there’s any uneven spots. Great to know I don’t have to get all of the glue up!

The flooring is the Pergo TimberCraft WetProtect and I’m using the Pergo Gold underlayment. The planks are 7.48” wide by 54.33” long.

In response to your questions:

(1) I do think working from the “South” side by the stairs would be best. I’d rather work backwards in the closet for a few planks than the bathroom.

(2) Yes, that is the garage that you X’d out. I included it to show where the exterior doors go and to explain some of the “missing” space. Not sure if the exterior door locations matter.

(3) Pictures included with descriptions.

One more question for you: How do you recommend I fix the cracks and crumbled concrete in the two pictures? It’s like that all around the front wall of my house. Some of the concrete is loose and can be removed; but I’m not sure whether I should do that, or just patch over it.

Thank you again!

Stefanie

• slh731

June 28, 2022 at 7:52 pm

Hello,

One more question – the Quikrete mix in a 10lb bag isn’t available anywhere near me (nor can it be shipped in, per Lowes and HD). Would a bucket of the quick setting mix be okay? Those are in stock at my local HD.

Thanks!

Stef

• Joe

Administrator
      June 29, 2022 at 9:43 am

Yes, you can use anything similar to that.

• Joe

Administrator
    June 29, 2022 at 10:38 am

Here is your blueprint – https://somup.com/c31UoAtSGk