Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Ryan on April 28, 2023 at 8:34 am

Hi Joe,

I hope this message finds you well. I just wanted to reach out and express my appreciation for the fantastic content that you create. Your knowledge and expertise exude from the screen, and I have learned a ton.

That said, your videos were so informative and comprehensive, I found myself feeling confident enough to attempt the installation myself! However, I am struggling with the layout of the flooring, and I was hoping you could provide me with some guidance.

If it’s not too much trouble, could you please advise me on the best way to lay out laminate flooring in downstairs of my house? I am thinking go with the hallway like you have mentioned in other videos, but I have a fireplace in the TV room that may force the other way.

**Also, thanks to your video with Flooret flooring. I ordered the Elmstead Signature which at beautiful 9 x 72″ planks.** Also curious about your thought on underlayment/ sound proofing. Their website says nothing is needed.

Joe replied 10 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    April 28, 2023 at 1:43 pm
  • Ryan

April 28, 2023 at 5:11 pm

Joe,

Should have taken a look at the drawing after I uploaded it. My notes/ comments didnt stay. The Rooms I am doing are the dinning room, living, and TV room, with the hallway in between. So that would be the bottom right, bottom left, and top left with the hallway that joins them off the front door. That said, we knocked out the kitchen, laundry room and hallway a couple of years ago.

To answer your question we are on wood subfloor on a crawl space.

• Ryan

April 28, 2023 at 5:23 pm

also, I will get you those pics asap. thanks for the quick reply!

• Ryan

April 28, 2023 at 5:35 pm
  • Joe

Administrator
    May 1, 2023 at 10:10 am
  • Ryan

May 1, 2023 at 7:25 pm

Thanks for the help. My wife and I will mull the direction over. After pulling out the carpet we found some trouble spots on some particle board… We are in the process of taking out a bunch of particle board and replacing them with OSB. Additionally, have some soft spots in the subfloor that I am needing to address.

• Ryan

May 1, 2023 at 7:33 pm
  • Joe

Administrator
    May 2, 2023 at 9:37 am

Just think it over and let me know when you decide, no rush on my end.

• Ryan

May 2, 2023 at 7:02 pm

Joe, after taking a look and laying out a couple of planks in both directions, we like the look of east to west the most. Also, the preference would be to knock out the bottom left room, bottom right room, and hallway prior to going into the room with the fireplace.

• Joe

Administrator
    May 3, 2023 at 11:56 am

Here is your blueprint – https://somup.com/c0heDN47Oa

• Ryan

June 6, 2023 at 1:09 pm

Joe,

Thanks for the blueprint. After addressing some subfloor issues and building the subfloors up about 1.5” I am now just done with my prep work in order to start the installation. After attempting to install the first two rows I keep having the same issue with the planks not wanting to sit flat. I’ve tried to search flooret’s website to see if there is anything on there about it. Any ideas? Should I glue?

• Joe

Administrator
    June 6, 2023 at 2:03 pm

an you share pics or a video of what is going on?

• Joe

Administrator
    June 6, 2023 at 2:08 pm
  • Ryan

June 7, 2023 at 11:24 am
  • Joe

Administrator
    June 7, 2023 at 12:00 pm
    • Ryan

June 7, 2023 at 12:33 pm

Joe,

Thanks for getting back to me. I will pull apart and knock out again. When I started to lay the planks yesterday without the first row. I would up with a ton of issues. That said, we figured out this am that the planks may have been damaged. We had multiple boxes which the planks were warped and edges that didn’t sit correctly (when pallet arrived it was broken).

After, trying again this am. I tried option one hoping for the back wall to be a flat edge. I am seeing it is not. Like I said before, ill pull it apart and doing option 2.

In terms of the subfloor. We had about a 2” height difference between the kitchen and the floors we are doing now. After speaking with the contractor who did out kitchen remodel, he suggested building the subfloor up to match the height. I did that already in the two rooms I have prepped, and I intent on doing it in the room I showed you. It has been painful but I am a one man army over here.

• Ryan

June 7, 2023 at 12:45 pm

Oh and the step you saw wasn’t a step it was some scrap would that I placed there to keep in leveler in hall way. I had massive hump going down the spine of hallway creating anywhere between an 1/4” to 1/2” height difference in a 6’ area

• Joe

Administrator
    June 7, 2023 at 1:42 pm

I gotcha! Let me know if I can help with anything else and let me know if you were successful.