Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Joe

Administrator
    June 30, 2022 at 8:18 am
  • htinev

June 30, 2022 at 10:44 am

Good morning Joe! Thank you so much for the quick and detailed response!

I am also very excited and much less apprehensive about this project after watching your response!

Here are some more details.

1. The existing flooring is tile. I am laying the LVP over it. There are a few areas that had to be filled in because I removed parts of the fireplace and some walls.

2. I believe I need to run the LVP East to West on the blueprint. I have ceiling planks that run that way and feel it will look weird if the flooring runs in a different direction. The only negative I foresee with East/West is the plank won’t be running from the front door but not really sure if that’s that big of a problem. What do you think?

3. I am using Karndean Korlok plank (see pics for T and G position).

4. I made a mistake in the blueprint I sent you. There are too big floor hearth tiles on each side of the fireplace which I forgot to include. They stick out from the floor the exact thickness of the LVP so the new planks will butt against them. The pics should make it clear.

A few questions:

1. I am thinking of just butting the LVP against the hearth tiles and maybe using some caulking if there is a tiny gap. What do you think?

2. Can I do the same in the kitchen? I don’t really want to use quarter round or anything like that (it will be hard to match the island and the kick toes).

3. I do want to do the bathroom too, it’s a tiny area and will flow nicely from the hall. My only reservation is there is baseboard tile that I don’t want to remove. So same problem, how do I cover the connection between the LVP and the wall? And will leaving the tile look ok with the new LVP?

4. I like your suggestion to line a plank with the closet doors so I don’t have to wrap a plank on each side. But I have to make sure I don’t get too thin of a plank left against the fireplace, right? Do I just lay a bunch of planks and see how they meet the fireplace?

That’s all I can think of right now. I am not really in a rush but would like to at least start the prep work this weekend. If you don’t have time to do the blueprint before you leave, can you at least give me some ideas on what I can do to prep everything so next week I can just start laying the planks?

Thank you so much, Joe! I really appreciate all your help!

• Joe

Administrator
    June 30, 2022 at 11:45 am

I will get this done for you by tomorrow. What are your questions with prep?

• htinev

June 30, 2022 at 11:51 am

Thank you sir!

I meant if you didn’t have time to do it before you leave, is there anything I can do in the meantime to make installation easier and quicker? Like arrange the planks in a certain way, etc.

• Joe

Administrator
    June 30, 2022 at 11:56 am
  • htinev

June 30, 2022 at 1:30 pm

Thanks Joe. Here are a few more pics.

1. Regarding the hearths, the planks that will butt against them will all have plenty of space on the other side (where they meet the wall). I can leave a big gap there since I’ll have baseboard over it. Do you think that will let me get away with a tighter gap against the hearths (or even no gap) or is there still a risk of buckling. That would be pretty bad so I obviously I don’t want to risk it. On the other hand, small or no gap just looks a lot better.

2. In the bathroom, I don’t have that luxury because as you said it will be tight on all sides. The base tile pic is from the bathroom. That’s what I was wandering if it would look ok with the new plank butted against it, especially if I leave 1/8″ gap. Is that normally done? I mean, leaving the base tile and just adding new plank? Do you happen to have a photo of a project you’ve done so I can get an idea?

3. As for prep, yeah you answered it, it doesn’t look like I need to do much. I don’t think I need padding either (the house does not get hot at all). I might tape some moisture barrier over the self-leveler areas just to be safe.

4. The area you requested pics for: The little column between the kitchen and the fireplace is offset from the South fireplace wall about 6-7 inches to the North. Let me know if you need any other measurements.

Again, it’s so great to have you in my corner for this project!!

Chris

• Joe

Administrator
    July 1, 2022 at 8:51 am

Here is your blueprint – https://somup.com/c3iVI7uVxN

• htinev

July 3, 2022 at 12:11 pm

Thank you, Joe! This is so much info and is all very helpful!

Blessings to you and your family! Happy 4th!

Chris

• htinev

August 8, 2022 at 1:17 pm

Hi Joe,

Quick question. I don’t think I’ll be able to use screws to secure the planks in this project since I will only have baseboard and it’s not thick enough to hide the screws. Can I get away without them? Can I use glue sticks? I don’t mean just for the scrap pieces to secure planks during install but also for the ones that need to be secured permanently (for example at 35:04 in the blueprint video; you put dots in there for me).

I got the gun and glue sticks you recommend.

Thanks,

Chris

• Joe

Administrator
    August 8, 2022 at 1:51 pm

Will you be removing the base for the install?

• htinev

August 8, 2022 at 1:56 pm

Yes, it has been removed. Won’t be using quarter round, just the base over the new plank.

• Joe

Administrator
    August 9, 2022 at 9:51 am

The glue is flexible and can be used permanently. So no worries.

• htinev

August 9, 2022 at 10:51 am

Thanks.

In your bathroom video you recommend starting from the tub and cut the planks on the other side. In my blueprint I am starting on the opposite side of the house and running into the bath tub. Any ideas on how to avoid having an inconsistent joint?

• htinev

August 9, 2022 at 12:46 pm

There will be many planks butting against the tub, do you mean line those pieces up and try to mark them all at the same time?

• Joe

Administrator
    August 9, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Page 1 of 2