Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Dennis on April 1, 2021 at 7:21 am

Hi, Joe. Just getting started. Installing LVP in an open concept basement. Lots of out of square walls. I need some help in determining where to snap my first chalk line to determine center of the room.

In the attached diagram, one thing to note is the raised platform and staircase in the middle of the floor is closer to the south side wall than what is depicted (its not drawn to scale).

My plan is to run the planks west to east, starting in the north-west corner. My concern is how to mitigate being out of square when I get to the platform and closet in the middle of the room as those structures are not square to any wall.

Thanks.

Joe replied 2 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    April 1, 2021 at 9:15 am

Dennis, here is a video to watch and I am sorry if I called you Martin in this video. I just did a video for Martin and I might have called you Martin, sorry about that brother!

http://somup.com/crfV2lb5w2

• Dennis

April 1, 2021 at 10:27 am

Thank you, Joe. We are on the same page, I was thinking the same thing as you regarding where to snap the lines so we are in agreement on that. In terms of your questions:

1. The closet wall is not parallel to the north wall (off by 2 inches!) and there are too many jogs on the north wall so wasn’t sure where to measure from.

2. The platform is against the wall so I won’t need to install behind the platform. Sorry about that.

3. I will use the string method as you mentioned because the north wall is not straight.

What might not have been apparent, is that the platform and closet wall are not in line with one another. So I can ensure that I do not end up with a short plank against the closet, but as I continue to the platform I may end up with a short plank there. It seems to me I can only choose one of those structures to ensure no short plank.

A blueprint would be great, would you need a better picture that is drawn to scale?

• Joe

Administrator
    April 1, 2021 at 5:22 pm

If you could draw one on that software I share, that would be great!