Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep At what point do I call someone in to level my floor?

• At what point do I call someone in to level my floor?

Posted by Troy on April 7, 2024 at 11:44 am

I thought I was going to install today, but as I was laying out some sample plank, I noticed yet another spot of my floor that was not level. It appears to be a hump at a seam in the new OSB that I laid down that I am having a terrible time sanding down. I have already put down six boxes of Henry 549 and it just seems like I cannot get this floor to be as level as I need it. Spending this much money on flooring, I really want a nice level subfloor and wondering at what point should I Hire someone to do it?

Troy replied 2 weeks, 6 days ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Troy

April 8, 2024 at 6:43 am

Here is the spot I’m referring to. I started to lay some sample planks down and noticed this high spot. This is the hallway in my entryway of the home near the half bathroom. It seems to be this joint where one piece of OSB meet up with another.

• Joe

Administrator
    April 8, 2024 at 12:57 pm
  • Troy

April 8, 2024 at 2:45 pm

Thank you Joe. That makes me feel better about my subfloor. I just don’t want to have come this far and mess the whole thing up by not having a proper subfloor.

It is kind of hard to explain how i came up with my points, but I will do my best.

I tried to measure spots off the wall, but as you can see in the picture, the wall is bowed in, so it messed up my measurements. So I tried to base my measurements off the bottom step, and it bowed in where it meets the floor as well. I was t getting accurate points.

So I took my laser level and carefully set it up to where the laser was just touching the nose/edge of the first step. I then made two marks on the floor knowing these were a straight line. I measured off of these two points.

I laid my plank down at the bottom landing in front of those steps where I wanted to start and made a measurement off of the two spots on the floor underneath the nose to where the first plank began and it just happened to be 29 inches.

(I carefully chose this layout based upon it ending in the door jamb of my 1/2 bath).

Those three marks that were in my previous pictures were all the 29 inch marks off of the green laser line at the nose of the first step.

**on a sidenote, if you look back at my chalk line photo, it appears that I am not completely over top of Mark two and Mark three, which could explain why I was about an inch off down into the living room as well.

Sorry if this is all confusing. I’m trying my best to explain my method here. I’m a little nervous to get started because I don’t want to screw up my first line and not be able to meet up around the wall in my kitchen.

• Joe

Administrator
    April 8, 2024 at 3:19 pm
  • Troy

April 8, 2024 at 3:58 pm

Thanks Joe. I will go home tonight and try to get my lines snapped so I have a confident starting point.

I do think the floor looks significantly better. Compared to what I found when ripping out that old flooring and having to rip out that entire subfloor/ 0.5in underlayment layer, it is remarkably better. Im probably just being overly concerned. Thank you again for the confidence! I’ll keep you updated.