Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Where should I start – Post drawings and questions Amanda C. Blueprint Request & Questions

• Joe

Administrator
    November 3, 2021 at 5:48 pm
    • Amanda

November 4, 2021 at 7:53 am

Flooring has arrived! See attached pic of tile.

• Amanda

November 3, 2021 at 7:00 pm

I double checked the measurements and the front door measurement is more like 95″ and the door to the living room is 102″

North & South Direction and a Brick pattern is fine. I am not picky, whatever you think will look good and makes my life easier installation wise. I know this product says the seams need to have a 6″ stagger so as long as that is accomplished I think a brick pattern is great. I also know that the expansion gap around the edges is 1/4″. Not sure if you need to know that, i’m pretty sure different products it varies.

My tile is being delivered tomorrow between 11am-1pm EST so I don’t have a piece in front of me yet. I can send you a pic once it arrives though. Not sure if you would be able to pull any better info up on their site regarding tongue and groove pics… Looked quickly but didn’t see anything. It is the Adura Rigid Tiles in Cape May Shell if that helps.

I think that is all your questions. Anything else you think of let me know!

• Joe

Administrator
    November 4, 2021 at 9:34 am
    • Amanda

November 4, 2021 at 10:06 am

Yup, it’s definitely corner to corner.

• Joe

Administrator
    November 4, 2021 at 3:26 pm

Hey, I just re did your video, so here is the new link for your blueprint – http://somup.com/crXfYT3MWo

• Joe

Administrator
    November 4, 2021 at 3:27 pm

Yes, I will be available for questions during this time. Here is a link to the prep video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH_vLiBJ6bg

• Amanda

November 5, 2021 at 7:32 am

One additional thing I just noticed that might be an issue with the starting side. My siding dips under about an inch (soon to be a bit less because I need to spray some sprayfoam insulation under there first.

Do we need to re think our starting method so I’m not trying to side the tile underneath the siding as well as the insulation after the fact?

Let me know your thoughts.

• Amanda

November 4, 2021 at 6:32 pm

Hi Joe!

Ok, I just watched through it. A couple initial questions I just want to clarify.

1. When you want me to measure out the 57” you want me to follow the angle across right up against wall like you originally asked me or measured out straight?

2. My tiles will be facing horizontally or vertically? And the first row which direction should it be pointed? Groove closest to windows or the tongue? Im tired and I obviously need to go rewatch some of the videos you have as it’s been a few weeks since I watched them. But just to double check.

I am going to try to repair the piece of subfloor in the doorway tomorrow and level the floor then I can start mapping out everything better.

3. Since I have some pretty big gaps in the subfloor do I need to caulk it with anything or the feather finish will be all I need to fill those gaps? I just want to make sure it doesn’t drip down into my crawlspace like self leveler would.

Ps that telephone pole is my foundation so it goes all the way into the ground and up thru the roof. If I am successful in this room just wait until I start in other rooms 🤣. This house will make your head spin!

Thanks for your patience!

Amanda C.

• Joe

Administrator
    November 5, 2021 at 9:38 am
    • Amanda

November 5, 2021 at 10:59 am

It wont let me open it. Just says upload failed from my phone and desktop

• Joe

Administrator
    November 5, 2021 at 12:46 pm

Sorry, try again.

• Joe

Administrator
    November 6, 2021 at 6:09 pm

Because your walls are crooked and I was trying to help you avoid a small piece. But, you can certainly use center

• Joe

Administrator
    November 6, 2021 at 8:19 pm

86 inches?? That is not what you have written on your print.

• Amanda

November 6, 2021 at 8:31 pm

The measurements I gave you were running the tape measure right against both walls, following angle. But if I measure straight across from the middle of the room left to right it’s about 86. Sorry if I’m making this more complicated than it is. This room is just making my head spin since 3 of the walls are angled. The right hand wall is the only one that seems mostly straight.

I will try to lay out the way you I initially said and send some pics in the morning I think once they are actually down I’ll be able to tell better.

• Joe

Administrator
    November 7, 2021 at 7:48 am

Ok,

in this video that is what I was asking – http://somup.com/crXf2y3MOj

If it is 86 inches, then snap a line at 43 inches and the pieces on both sides will be close to 7 inches wide.

• Amanda

November 8, 2021 at 8:23 pm

Ok so I ran into every problem in the book today 🤣

I got a fancy laser, measured everything out; laid the first row great and realized I was going to run into way too many small pieces at the very end, pulled everything up and moved everything over a few inches and realized I was still going to have the issue just now in different areas, damn angles .

So I did what I maybe shouldn’t have done 😬, laid it just starting at the far left wall with spacers. (I couldn’t think of any other options,sorry)

Got the whole first row done, angles and everything and now I’m having an AWFUL time getting the second row planks together.

I think I figured out the reason now. When i ran it I did it horizontally, Meaning when you walk in the front door you see 24” wide tiles. I believe you meant the opposite, from N to S, correct me if I’m wrong.

Anyways now I am forced to click in the short edge first and then the long end and that method is so not working, i keep getting tiny gaps that just don’t want to go away or it will shift just a hair

Any advice on whether I can keep going somehow or do I need to pull everything up again and order another box or two since now I’ll be short.

Sorry for being so long winded! I know your on vacation or something!

• Joe

Administrator
    November 9, 2021 at 10:41 am
    • Amanda

November 9, 2021 at 10:50 am

Wrong person. Make sure you send that to Chris!

Literally just ignore my last video. I said some prayers last night and started all over again and seem to be making progress today. Im on my third row.

• Joe

Administrator
    November 9, 2021 at 10:42 am

Sorry! I tried to send this earlier today and for some reason it did not send.

• Joe

Administrator
    November 9, 2021 at 11:47 am

I am sorry Amanda. Here it is – http://somup.com/crXQbH3Sud

• Amanda

November 9, 2021 at 1:30 pm

I did not intentionally not listen to your blueprint I just couldn’t figure out why it didn’t work until I realized I ran them the wrong way. I pulled it up and all fixed.

Two questions though:

1. what size gap can/should be left for flooring transitions?

2. Can you send me a picture of the transitions I should buy? I don’t need the fancy ones just something that will fit.

3. Will I need one at the doorway into the mudroom as well? . If so what kind there also

• Joe

Administrator
    November 9, 2021 at 3:52 pm

I would just use quarter round at the exterior doors. Just leave an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch gap along those doors. I would not use a transition in the mudroom if you are continuing the floor into it.

Page 1 of 2