Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Joe

Administrator
    August 1, 2022 at 9:58 am
  • billcarns

August 1, 2022 at 1:55 pm

Hi Joe, thanks for the timely response! Here are responses to your questions:

1. The wall next to the fireplace (which, by the way, runs east/west) is CURRENTLY open (a large arched passage way). BUT once we close on the condo purchase (this Friday) we will begin closing-up that arched wall so that a 3rd bedroom is created. The floor layout I sent accurately indicates that the arched wall will be closed-in.

2. I have attached more room pics as requested. I am planning to plank the whole condo, which means ripping out the tile in the kitchen and the bathrooms first.

3. Since we haven’t closed on the condo yet (which is in San Diego) I can’t open up any flooring to see if the subfloor is jib crete or wood. The complex was built in 1980 and I just don’t know if it was customary to use jib crete back then. But I have to go to San Diego Wednesday to sign paperwork (I live in Phoenix) and perhaps I can get the real estate agent to let me in and I can pull up a carpet corner to see the subfloor.

4. I have attached pics of the NuCor plank.

5. I am a little worried about working backwards, never having installed before, and think minimizing backward work is preferable. Am I right? If correct, then it seems preferable from an install perspective to lay the planks east/west. In other words, lay them long running from the entry door (west) to the towards the fireplace (east). I understand I would need to start on the dining area (south) wall.

6. There are no windows on the south or west walls of the condo (fireplace and windows are on the east side of the condo in the main living areas) so available daylight (which is minimal due to the heavily treed courtyard on the east). Does this tend to support #5 above?

I appreciate all your help Joe!

• Joe

Administrator
    August 1, 2022 at 2:43 pm

Thanks Bill! I will get this to you tomorrow and thanks for the pics. I will answer all your questions in the video. No worries on the jib crete.

• Joe

Administrator
    August 2, 2022 at 10:20 am

Here is your blueprint – https://somup.com/c3jnoqukqN

• billcarns

August 30, 2022 at 2:43 pm

Joe, I ran into remodel issues with a plumbing and drywall contractor which threw the project off schedule. This meant that I could not do the flooring myself (ugh) and I had to hire someone from Floor & Decor who could do it quicker than I could. The installers did not prep/level spots in the concrete floor. Consequently there are a few pockets or voids where the planks sink a little. I am worried about this but the installers say there is nothing that can be done. Is this true? Do you have an instructional video I can watch to repair these voids by injecting something into the space below the planks?

• Joe

Administrator
    August 30, 2022 at 3:30 pm

I do not have a video on that, but I know some guys have posted those. I would let things settle for a bit before doing anything like that.