Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Jeffrey

September 30, 2021 at 5:34 pm

Hi Joe, this floor has tried to kick my butt in many ways, but with your guidance it’s looking good and I never could have done it without you. I had to go past a few trouble spots because I was under the gun to move furniture in, but now I’d like your advice on these areas.

1. Stair baluster bottom plate. I undercut in most areas and have a clean interface to the planks, but here in the first photo my plank came just short of the bottom plate. I haven’t undercut it yet but I’m hoping there is still room to do that and rip a thin strip of flooring on the tablesaw to glue in there. Am I on the right track or have I screwed myself?

2. The second photo is nearly the same situation, but a little more room to work with.

3. Carpet transition at doors. I had the carpet installer leave me a little extra carpet to work with in the door jams, with tack strip just under the doors. I cut my plank to have the edge land just under the door, but I’m still a little confused as to how I finish the edge of the carpet and I’m afraid to cut it because I don’t want to make an irreversible mistake. In photo 4 the speed square shows the location of the tack strip underneath. In photo 4 the square is just to lift up the carpet so you can see the tack strip under it.

You had mentioned Z-bar in a previous video. The carpet installer said he used it when he worked in Texas, but he has never seen it used here in Nevada.