Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Joe

Administrator
    September 8, 2021 at 10:46 am
  • Jeffrey

September 8, 2021 at 2:24 pm

Hi Joe,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful answers to all my questions.

I’m going to install North-South (horizontal on the drawings) in all areas based on your advice and my gut feeling. I’ll just deal with the extra complexity in the bathroom because I think it will look better overall.

We live in Sparks, Nevada (near Reno). I have no idea whether they use Z-bar here, but one way or another I’m sure we can get them to do the carpet transition as you described without using any molding.

Thanks again and looking forward to your installation guidance.

-Jeff

• Joe

Administrator
    September 9, 2021 at 3:01 pm

I will get this done and have these to you tomorrow morning.

• Joe

Administrator
    September 10, 2021 at 11:43 am

Here is the upper level – http://somup.com/crQ6DCrwrV

• Jeffrey

September 30, 2021 at 5:34 pm

Hi Joe, this floor has tried to kick my butt in many ways, but with your guidance it’s looking good and I never could have done it without you. I had to go past a few trouble spots because I was under the gun to move furniture in, but now I’d like your advice on these areas.

1. Stair baluster bottom plate. I undercut in most areas and have a clean interface to the planks, but here in the first photo my plank came just short of the bottom plate. I haven’t undercut it yet but I’m hoping there is still room to do that and rip a thin strip of flooring on the tablesaw to glue in there. Am I on the right track or have I screwed myself?

2. The second photo is nearly the same situation, but a little more room to work with.

3. Carpet transition at doors. I had the carpet installer leave me a little extra carpet to work with in the door jams, with tack strip just under the doors. I cut my plank to have the edge land just under the door, but I’m still a little confused as to how I finish the edge of the carpet and I’m afraid to cut it because I don’t want to make an irreversible mistake. In photo 4 the speed square shows the location of the tack strip underneath. In photo 4 the square is just to lift up the carpet so you can see the tack strip under it.

You had mentioned Z-bar in a previous video. The carpet installer said he used it when he worked in Texas, but he has never seen it used here in Nevada.

• Jeffrey

October 7, 2021 at 7:21 pm

Hi Joe,

How should I handle the transition to the metal door threshold? I don’t think I can undercut it. I have two exactly like this.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Joe

Administrator
    September 10, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Here is the lower level – http://somup.com/crQ6b2rw0W

Here is the lower level bath – http://somup.com/crQ6b3rwZ5

• Jeffrey

September 22, 2021 at 3:32 pm

Hi Joe. I’m a little perplexed as to how to handle where my plank will land just shy of the pantry door/wall. Do I try to cut a thin strip of plank, or just cover it with quarter round?

• Joe

Administrator
    September 22, 2021 at 4:43 pm

I would cut plank to go in there. When you get to it take a pica and I can help if needed.

• Joe

Administrator
    September 23, 2021 at 8:54 am
  • Joe

Administrator
    October 1, 2021 at 9:01 am
  • Joe

Administrator
    October 8, 2021 at 8:33 am