Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Jeffery on April 26, 2021 at 3:30 am

Hello! Starting my install for the entire house in vinyl planks. We decided to begin at the bottom the bottom right corner of the living room and work it up and out from there. We’re having trouble figuring out how we should stagger the boards while still being able to have proper lengths around the edges. The house is empty as this was a military move. We would like to have the living room done so we can have the movers set up a living space. We would work on the rest of the house from there. Our planks are 48 x 7. Thanks for the help!

Joe replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    April 26, 2021 at 11:29 am

Can you answer some questions for me? http://somup.com/crfODuF0WM

• Jeffery

April 26, 2021 at 1:30 pm

Hey Joe, thanks for the reply. So we intend to lay the planks north and south using your depiction of north and south. First time using rendering software so a little funky but the rooms are all aligned and the living room is not angled. I’ve attached a new photo with a better render. I understand that if we started on the bottom left corner of the living room, that would allow us to not work backwards for the entire install? Only for everything west of that living room wall?

• Jeffery

April 26, 2021 at 1:55 pm

The width of the living room came out to 15’ 5” 3/4. With 1/4 spacing we can lay 26.46 boards side by side with the north and south method. We decided to place 3.5 x 48 boards along the walls of both sides of the living rooms in order for us to get the even 26 planks going across. Is this advisable?

• Jeffery

April 26, 2021 at 2:38 pm

Also, should we use transitions?

• Jeffery

April 26, 2021 at 3:07 pm

Hey Joe, Apologies for the multiple replys, found the blueprints from when the house was built in ‘87. It seems the measurements throughout the house have maintained their value. If this was your project, which way would be the easiest and most efficient? Thanks!

• Joe

Administrator
    April 26, 2021 at 3:59 pm
  • Joe

Administrator
    April 27, 2021 at 7:45 am
  • Jeffery

April 30, 2021 at 5:39 pm

Hey Joe thanks for the video and pointers, install is going good. One question though, I’m curious about whether it’s a good idea to put a washer and dryer on top of vinyl planks? I’m hearing some say it’s a bad idea and some say it’s a good idea. Thank you.

• Joe

Administrator
    May 1, 2021 at 8:55 am

Yes, put them on it.

• Jeffery

May 2, 2021 at 4:16 pm

Hey Joe, finishing up a room and ran into this. It’s an inch gap between the wall and last plank. My trim only covers a 1/2 inch. Any ideas about what to do for it?

• Joe

Administrator
    May 3, 2021 at 9:15 am

here you go my friend – http://somup.com/crhe2oFaCw