Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Sigmar on January 25, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Hello! I am a first time floor installer for my new home and just finished prepping the floor with underlayment and am ready to begin laying Smartcore Pro LVP. Was hoping to have some questions answered: 1. Where do I start? The kitchen is in the process of being remodeled so I will hold off on laying the floor in the kitchen until the cabinets and countertops have been installed (about 4 weeks from now). I did want to start laying the floor in all the other areas so wasn’t sure if this changes strategy. 2. I have removed all the quarter round and left the base moulding. In some areas the LVP will slide under the base mouldings, however, some areas it will not. Should I remove or cut the base moulding so the LVP will slide under? My gut tells me I want to keep everything consistent. Thank you so much for your help!

Joe replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 25, 2021 at 11:27 pm

If you do not want to use quarter round again then I would remove and reinstall the base when the plank is done. Do you have a preferred direction you would like the plank to be installed?

• Sigmar

January 26, 2021 at 2:47 am

Here is some more info. I did some math using the equations in your video. The numbers actually worked out pretty nicely and I think I can go by this. Here are the numbers I came up with:

10 Planks = 71″

1 Plank = 7 1/8″ (3 9/16″ Half); Tongue 3/16″

Hallway Width: 36 1/2″ /2 = 18 1/4″

*It turns out if I place the seam directly in the middle I get each end piece in the hallway an equal width. I measured 18 1/4″ in two spots and lined them up with a laser level. I then measured the opposite side of the house in two locations to the laser line and the distances were 252 3/4″ and 252 1/2″. I can’t ask for more than that.

The distance from the laser line to the left wall measured 58 1/2″ so I measured that up against the 10 planks to a seam and that is my first piece, correct?

The arrow in the attached pic are as follows:

Red Line = Laser line in hallway at 18 1/4″

Blue Lines = Distance to opposite wall = 252 3/4″ and 252 1/2″

Green Line = Start point

Purple Lines = Direction of floor laying

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you!

Ziggy

• Sigmar

January 26, 2021 at 2:52 am

I just realized my first reply did not go through. Yes, I will be using quarter round around the base moulding. They are chewed up from the previous installer and I want to hide all of that. There were about 8 different types of hardwoods installed so the moulding spacing is different in some rooms where the LVP will not fit under it. Here are some pics. Any suggestions on the best way to work around this? If this was my only project I would pull all the base moulding off and reattach it to the correct height but I have a million other projects that need attention as well.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 27, 2021 at 8:20 pm

I would not worry about sliding the plank under the trim if you are using quarter round to cover it. The only places you would need to run under the trim a little bit would be around the door jambs. I like to go under the trim past the doorjamb casings at least 2 inches so the gap won’t show at the edge of the quarter round. Make sense?

• Joe

Administrator
    January 27, 2021 at 8:25 pm

so, if the top of your print is north are the planks running east and west or north and south?

• Sigmar

January 28, 2021 at 2:55 am

Lol, probably good to know the direction… I will be running them North/South so when you walk in they are running vertically.

• Sigmar

January 28, 2021 at 12:41 pm

One more thing I don’t think I mentioned- We are renovating the kitchen and the new cabinets will not be here for another 4 weeks. My original plan was to do the flooring everywhere except the kitchen, but after looking at the new starting point and layout, I think it would be best to wait to install the flooring until the kitchen is done. Do you agree? The other option is to start in the dining room and lay flooring there and the living room and just stop at the foyer and kitchen. Which starting point do you think is best or is six of one half dozen the other?

• Joe

Administrator
        January 28, 2021 at 2:40 pm

You could do either way, but if you do start before the kitchen is done then I would stop the plank at the same row if that area I pointed out on the drawing is a walk through. You can protect the edge of the plank with scrap pieces until you are ready to continue on. Make sense?

• Sigmar

January 28, 2021 at 4:41 pm

Great, that is the walkthrough and makes perfect sense. I feel like starting on that side will also allow me to build some confidence since there aren’t a lot of angles as opposed to the foyer area where I will have to make a lot of cuts. Just so I understand your videos 100%, I will make a chalk line every 10 planks (71”) from my red baseline in the walkthrough, correct?

• Joe

Administrator
    January 28, 2021 at 2:41 pm
    • Sigmar

January 28, 2021 at 11:58 pm

I remeasured everything and I am second guessing the direction I want to lay the plank. The walls are not at all square in the walkthrough and I think it will be really noticeable to run the plank north and south, even if the plank is centered. Is there any rule for which direction to run the plank and better yet, which direction would you run the floor based on your experience? It also would definitely be easier to start on the south wall running east/west as it is a straight wall with no obstructions, only 1 vent. Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

• Sigmar

January 29, 2021 at 12:00 am

FYI- The joists run north/south except for the living room where they run east/west for whatever reason.

• Sigmar

January 29, 2021 at 1:28 pm

Please disregard my last to replies. I decided to stick with the original plan and run north/south (do you agree with that direction?). I remeasured and will be sending my final numbers before I start for you to double check if you don’t mind. My brain works better in the mornings lol. Thank you!

• Joe

Administrator
    January 29, 2021 at 3:32 pm

Ok. I would run it the way I drew it up on your drawing.

• Sigmar

January 29, 2021 at 6:19 pm

Here you go, I think this should do it. Thanks!

• Joe

Administrator
    January 29, 2021 at 7:20 pm

I think that is right on!!

• Sigmar

January 29, 2021 at 7:21 pm

So happy to hear that! Thank you and I’m sure I’ll have some questions along the way. You’ve been a tremendous help!

• Sigmar

January 30, 2021 at 5:21 pm

Started my first row and when I got to the vent I continued with the piece I cut on the left side of the wall and it turns out the seam will fall on the vent. Should I avoid having the seam on the vent and use a new piece or is it okay to make cuts on a seam? Don’t know if it will mess up the flow if I start with a new piece.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 30, 2021 at 5:34 pm

Perfectly fine, you’re good to go.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 30, 2021 at 5:37 pm

I would start out a couple rows in front of that partition wall and then come back at the end and work backwards into the starting wall. Totally up to you though.

• Sigmar

February 2, 2021 at 8:44 pm

I’m off to a good start and everything seems to be lining up nicely. I do have a question about locking the ends. Is there a technique to getting them to snap together without having to really beat on them? Some go together pretty easily but the majority I find I’ve got to pound on harder than I’d like. The instructions say “gently” tap and not to hit the seam but there is no way these are clicking together without a fair amount of force and directly on the seam. The long ends go together fine, it’s just the ends that are giving me trouble. I’ve broken a few so far and actually had to backtrack because I noticed one seam was not totally smooth and turned out to be damaged. I am afraid I will be damaging them without knowing even if they seem to be snapped together. I am using SmartCore Pro. Not sure if you’ve had any experience with that product. Thanks!

• Joe

Administrator
    February 3, 2021 at 5:04 pm

Most of the time it is just getting the feel of it. Make sense? Some are definitely harder then others.