Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• jon.weitzel

November 14, 2022 at 8:48 am

Thanks Joe. I will use the string method to verify and then just go from there. The planks went together really well, so I would agree its likely my line not the planks.

When I get down the road a bit I have a couple of questions.

1. My fireplace is brick all the way to the concrete. I think I saw a video you did talking about undercutting the brick so the plank slides under. I have a 4″ grinder with a diamond blade. I imagine this is just as messy/dusty as grinding humps out of concrete?

2. Any tips on moving heavy furniture up on to the new plank? Plank will be going under our fridge and washer and dryer and I don’t want to damage the edges or top on the new plank getting them back into place. Have you tried any methods to avoid damaging the new floor?

I wont be in these areas for a couple days so no hurry on the response. Thanks for the quick response on the other questions.

• Joe

Administrator
    November 14, 2022 at 9:03 am
  • jon.weitzel

November 14, 2022 at 9:33 am

Thank you. I will check those videos out.

• jon.weitzel

December 8, 2022 at 11:48 am

Hi Joe. Hope your family had a great Thanksgiving. Checking backing in with you. Project is going well. Got the kitchen done. Ended up going all the way under the dishwasher and I used a couple of your tips to get the fridge back in place with no issue. I undercut the fireplace and it looks great. Messy job but glad we went that route. I tried uploading a video, but the file was too large. I am pretty sure what I need to do but wanted to get your input before I head into our master bedroom. I am saving the laundry room shown (aside from the kids hallway and bath which is separate from everything else) for last and am now going to work my way into the master.

I wanted your input on layout. The first board in the picture the master doorway is just temporary to protect the edge. As far as layout in the master I imagine I need to pull layout off the board in the hall then use the stringline method to get across the master east to west? Then I can get my marks off the North wall of the master and snap a line? Also, I imagine I should leave the last row against the north wall out and use your temporary anchor method to work south into the master correct? I bought a hammer drill so putting in the temporary blocks into the concrete has worked well. I did that for the long run into the living room and worked back words in that room.

Appreciate all the help in moving this project along.

I don’t think I will ever attempt 2000 sq ft in an occupied house by myself again, but we are very happy with how its turning out and it will make a big difference in our home.

Let me know if you need any additional pictures or explanation to clarify this question

Jon

• jon.weitzel

December 27, 2022 at 3:14 pm

Hey Joe,

Hope you family had a great Christmas. I moved into the master and got that done. Turned out great. I just have the laundry and the kids hall to do. No need to answer the above question anymore.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 27, 2022 at 3:27 pm

Hey Jon, I never seen this question and I am sorry about that. I am glad it went well for you my friend.

• jon.weitzel

December 27, 2022 at 3:31 pm

No worries. Thanks for the quick response.

• jon.weitzel

December 29, 2022 at 4:31 pm

Hi Joe. Getting close to the end of the main house, will only have the kids hall and bathroom entry to do! A few questions for you.

1. I finally ran into a spot where the layout was bad. Surprisingly this was the only time in the whole house I have this issue. Under the cabinet in the laundry room my base shoe (a piece of what we are using is in the picture below) covers on one end where the gap is about a 1/4 inch but on the other end the gap is like 3/4+ so it doesn’t cover. Looks like the cabinet got mounted crooked because the wall on the other side of the room is straight.

Anyways that is a full piece up against the cabinet so I would have had to put in a tapered sliver of a piece to cover that gap. That would have been ugly and nearly impossible to install. My thought was adding and painting a 1/4 piece of plywood to the toe kick so that the shoe would cover the gap? Have you tried anything else in this scenario?

2. The threshold pictured is metal and goes to the man door leading to our garage from the house. My wife would prefer this be undercut like the casings instead of just caulked. Have you tried cutting these metal threshold before? Any luck? Any particular tool that worked well?

My only other thought other than a new custom threshold would be trying to bend the metal instead of cutting it? Bend the angle so its sits up on the wood, but I would have to bend it quite a bit to get the height.

Any tips or tricks here would be helpful.

3. Lastly, on the transitions to carpet, my wife would like to fold the carpet under and just butt the wood up to it. I watched your transition video but didn’t see how to address this on a concrete slab. I see most people fold an inch or two under and then staple the layers down. Since I have slab I’m not sure how to mimic that since I can’t staple into it? I didn’t think just trying to staple the two layers down to the tac strip would hold very well.

Let me know if you need any clarification on these questions.

Thank you

• Joe

Administrator
    December 30, 2022 at 9:48 am
  • jon.weitzel

January 11, 2023 at 3:06 pm

Thanks Joe. I have been tied up with other stuff and had to step away from the floor. Will be getting back to it shortly. Great tips. Appreciate it.

• jon.weitzel

January 16, 2023 at 3:21 pm

I have my zbar and tack strips but I wanted to confirm the correct placement under the door. I thought if you have a door that closes when you are in that room you only want to see the flooring of that room? Is that correct. I assume then that you wouldn’t center the transition directly under the door but have the wood stop at the edge of the closed door so you wouldnt see it peeking under the doorway into the bedroom. So I assume the 2nd picture below would be correct. Dont want to do this twice so I wanted to confirm before I glued down my tack strip and zbar. thanks

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  jon.weitzel.
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 16, 2023 at 3:25 pm
    • jon.weitzel

January 17, 2023 at 8:01 am

Thanks Joe

• jon.weitzel

January 18, 2023 at 6:00 pm

Hi Joe. I ended up taking the metal threshold off and using a Diablo aluminum blade with my Skillsaw to cut it so the hardwood could go underneath. It actually turned out pretty well I think. The aluminum blade made it really easy to cut. I was still able to keep my gap under the threshold as well.

On to the zbar and carpet tomorrow.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 19, 2023 at 9:06 am

That is great to hear my friend!!

• jon.weitzel

January 19, 2023 at 11:20 am

Thanks Joe!

Well, problems never seem to end on this project. I have installed the z bar in one doorway and now I have a carpet issue.

Hopefully you can see in the pictures but I discovered the carpet guys put a seam right on top of the where the z bar ends. I don’t know if you have any ideas on how to cut this carpet and get it installed under the z bar without that seam pulling a part?

There was carpet in this hallway so I assume there will probably be a seam right in the worst spot in the other door I have to do.

Basically as is stand I would have to cut the carpet about a half inch past that seam and try and tuck it under the zbar. I have never messed with carpet so I dont know how well those seams stay together. In the picture you can see that seam is already starting to come apart on the one end.

We are planning on eventually replacing the carpet but not for a while. I was hoping to make this zbar work for now. Is this futile at this point? I ended the wood where I want it so when the new carpet gets installed the shouldnt have any issues, but for now Im a little at a loss on how end that carpet.

Page 2 of 3