Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by jonathanwalker709 on May 14, 2022 at 3:34 pm

Attached is the blueprint of my kitchen, dining room, living room, and hallway that will be getting LVP installed. Right now it is all tile which we plan to demo out. We were originally thinking of laying the flooring horizontal (left to right when looking at the blueprint) so it would follow the flow of the galley kitchen out to the dining room. But do we then need to do a transition into the small hallway so that we aren’t chopping down planks to fit the narrowness of the hallway? So we are thinking vertical (when looking at the blueprint, front of house to the back) instead of horizontal. We will be facing the right side wall of the living room when the furniture is back in, if that matters at all. We will be keeping the tile flooring in the bedrooms so we do have some reducers, but we might be going to carpet in the bedrooms in the future, does that affect anything we need to do with transitions/reducers in those areas? Thanks for all the help!

Joe replied 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    May 16, 2022 at 10:14 am

I am out of the office until Tuesday afternoon and I will get to this then. Sorry for the inconvience.

• Joe

Administrator
    May 17, 2022 at 1:44 pm
  • jonathanwalker709

May 17, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We do have a concrete subfloor. The reason for taking up the tile is that we have some uneven tiles and we saw where we would have to self level the grout lines. So instead of dealing with the potential headaches we are thinking just starting from the subfloor might be the best option.

• jonathanwalker709

May 17, 2022 at 8:57 pm
  • jonathanwalker709

May 17, 2022 at 8:58 pm
  • Joe

Administrator
    May 18, 2022 at 12:45 pm

The tile can be ground down on the high spots if needed. How thick is your plank? Most floating vinyl plank can be laid over tile without filling the grout lines. I am not trying to stop you from tearing it out, I am just asking.

• jonathanwalker709

May 18, 2022 at 1:01 pm

It is 5mm thick. I’m not against tearing up the floor. I just figured it would be a better starting point than the tile. I did see your video about filling in dips. I have a 4ft level, should I get a longer straight edge to check the floor for low/high spots? Also, if I’m not removing the tile, then should I swap out my reducers for transitions? Also, we may be keeping the tile in the bedrooms instead of getting carpet.

• jonathanwalker709

May 18, 2022 at 8:19 pm

This is an example of an uneven spot/row of tile that we have.

• Joe

Administrator
    May 19, 2022 at 9:09 am
  • Joe

Administrator
    May 19, 2022 at 11:09 am
    • jonathanwalker709

May 28, 2022 at 10:59 am

Sorry for not getting back sooner. We are demoing the tile. They didn’t install the tile all the way under the cabinets that we are replacing so I’d have to build that part up to the tile and there are uneven/slanted sections of tile throughout the entire space. I do know that the subfloor may also have issues, but it feels like either way I’d have to do some leveling, and maybe this way we don’t have to do as much. Though I am having someone else demo the tile, I don’t want to get burned out from that before we get to the floor install.

We are thinking north and south for the laminate direction. I’m not sure if you need this information, but the plank size is 5.67″ wide by 36.81″ long. I believe you said if we go north and south that we can start in the hallway. I’m anxious to start this project. We picked LVP because we feel we can handle the install and having you to provide guidance is wonderful. We had a handyman quote us $4/sq ft to install, and at 600 sq ft I quickly passed.

• Joe

Administrator
    May 31, 2022 at 10:42 am

here is your blueprint – http://somup.com/c3hwoCt3dj