Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by James on January 29, 2021 at 4:06 am

Hi Joe, thanks for your help so far. I am wondering how to handle the top stair. The floor I’m installing (Shaw vinyl) has a stair nose trim available that is flush with the floor and has the male end on it. It would be great to click this in to the next piece of floor, but I’m not sure that’s an option. That would probably mean starting the installation there, which doesn’t seem like a good idea since it’s not a good place to try and keep everything square and it would make most of my install backwards. I really don’t want a transition at the top of the stairs either. Could I cut off the male end of the stair nose and the female end of the piece next to it and butt them up together and glue? Or something else? Thanks.

James replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 29, 2021 at 3:36 pm

There is 2 types of stair nose available and you need the overlapping stair nose.

Watch this video – https://laminateuniversity.sothatshowyoudothat.com/how-to-install-a-stair-nose/

How to install a Stair Nose

• James

January 29, 2021 at 5:55 pm

Thanks. I missed this video somehow – I thought I watched them all. And the flooring I have does not have a matching overlapping stair nose, only the flush, so I think that confused me. I’ll have to find an overlapping one that matches or stain one myself.

• James

January 31, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Another question – I should install the newel posts for the new railing around the stair opening before installing the vinyl floor, right? So I can still leave my expansion gap around the posts and finish later with quarter round?

Since the flooring on the stairs will be glued down and not moving, I assume I can do anything on the stairs before or after flooring?

• Joe

Administrator
    January 31, 2021 at 3:26 pm

Yes and yes! You got it right.

• James

January 31, 2021 at 7:03 pm

Only because you taught me! Thanks!

By the way, are you in Minnesota? I saw your shirt in a few videos…

• Joe

Administrator
    January 31, 2021 at 7:08 pm

Yes, I am in Grand Rapids

• James

January 31, 2021 at 7:13 pm

Nice place to be! I’m in the Twin Cities suburbs.

• Joe

Administrator
    January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm

Ok, I am from Mounds View, I moved up here 12 years ago from Cambridge.

• James

January 31, 2021 at 8:43 pm

I live in Crystal. Went to Anoka high school. My wife went to high school in Mora and my in-laws still live there.