Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Mark on April 22, 2021 at 8:07 pm

Hi, Joe.

So far I’ve removed all the old flooring except the laundry room. I’m installing 5″× 48″ X 8 mm Cortec LVP in all the rooms that are completely visible in the drawing(except for maybe the foyer closet). Sunroom, greatroom and entrance to bedroom hallway were all carpeted–but the kitchen, dining, laundry, and 1/2 bath were all sheet vinyl over 1/4″ luan plywood that was glued and stapled. What a mess! The subfloor is 3/4″ osb. I think plank direction should run north and south. Should I start on long wall of great room? I’m not sure how to proceed with the way the wall is angled and especially the fireplace. The hearth is made of 12″ tiles that are about 1/2 to 5/8″ above the subfloor at their surface. Should I leave a 1/4″ gap with caulk to match the flooring color then just leave the hearth sticking up 1/8 to – 1/4″ or so? Not enough room for moulding.

I have end cap to use where the planks meet the carpet at the bedroom hall and den. There is going to be professionally laid carpet in the hall and den when I’m finished with the planks. All the angles are a little intimidating.

Not too sure how I’m going to have all the walls and counters come out without ending somewhere with too skinny a pieces.

I’m now working on some of the divots from the removal of the glued floor and removing some remnants of the lower ply of luan that didn’t come up too well. That floor has a slightly tacky transparent glue residue. Is the slight roughness going to be a problem since the flooring is supposed to be able to slide around or is it not an issue since the straightness of the planks will already be established by the time I get there? My planks have a thin layer of cork backing.-maybe a thin layer of something is needed under the planks here? Hope not.

Anyway, I wrote a lot but didn’t want to leave out anything. I’m sure some other issues will arise. I’ve learned much from your good videos. Thanks a lot Joe! Mark West

Joe replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    April 23, 2021 at 8:30 am
    • Mark

April 25, 2021 at 1:37 pm

Here are some pics to help see what’s going on. Also I was wondering if I will need to glue the small end pieces together that I have between the wall and registers since the planks will run perpendicular to them. Thanks. God bless you too, Brother!

• Joe

Administrator
    April 26, 2021 at 11:11 am

Here is your blueprint Mark – http://somup.com/crfODXF0Rw

• Mark

April 28, 2021 at 10:41 am

Morning, Joe. Thanks for the blueprint. It’s a lot to absorb. I’m going to keep going over it till it all soaks in. Still working on floor prep but I thought I should give you this info on my hearth transition area so I’ll know how close to make the planks when I get started. Caulk or transition strips or…? Also, you say I should start with the angles. Should I leave off the first board and cut the angle last in case I have to adjust the 1st couple rows? Thanks, Joe. Have a blessed day! Mark

• Mark

April 28, 2021 at 10:46 am

Uh. Did I say I forgot to post the pics?

• Joe

Administrator
    April 28, 2021 at 10:56 am

You can do that. If you line up the rows perfectly one at a time it would also work. Up to you on what would be best.

• Mark

April 28, 2021 at 12:14 pm

So…what’s your opinion on type of transition strip? Or caulk? Sorry to be a pest.

• Joe

Administrator
    April 28, 2021 at 1:14 pm

I would use a reducer.