Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums General Subfloor Help

Tagged: 

• Subfloor Help

Posted by Danny on March 5, 2021 at 12:08 pm

Joe,

In the areas where the original linoleum was installed (kitchen/entry), there is what appears to be a 1/4” birch underlayment that doesn’t exist on the rest of the floor. Should I tear it out or add underlayment to the remaining areas? Thanks.

Danny

Joe replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    March 5, 2021 at 1:03 pm

I would probably tear it out. I will be the judge, but here is a video for you to watch.

https://laminateuniversity.sothatshowyoudothat.com/how-to-demo-existing-floors/

How to demo existing floors

• Danny

March 5, 2021 at 7:33 pm

Started tearing it out and it is coming up easy. I know I saw a video somewhere about the maximum deviation in subfloor for LVP, but can’t find it now. I’m using a 3 foot level. What would be the maximum I should go without sanding or filling? Also, I think I read or watched a video that stated low spots could be filled with tar paper on a LVP install?

• Danny

March 5, 2021 at 1:17 pm

Thank you.

• Joe

Administrator
    March 6, 2021 at 8:32 am

You can fill low spots as you install the plank using tar paper. I would not get too concerned with minor dips. Have you found anything of concern?

• Danny

March 6, 2021 at 9:35 am

I found only three spots of concern. One is around 3’x5’ with around 3/16” at the worst. The other two are around 2’x3’ with 3/16” depth. All are in heavy traffic areas. Several high spots need sanding and everything else is within 1/16” of level.

Also, I’m having no luck finding Ardex Feather or Henry 948 locally. I suppose most any brand of self drying, cement-based finish underlayment will work?

• Joe

Administrator
    March 6, 2021 at 3:45 pm

Henry 549. Yes, you can use something else or just use a modified thinset.