Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Philip on February 14, 2021 at 1:54 pm

Hi Joe,

I am in the planning stage to replace all the flooring in the house with vinyl plank laminate. Right now the front hallway, laundry room, bathrooms and kitchen have tile. The dining room and living room are carpet. And all the bedrooms are wood laminate. We are going to open the wall from the kitchen to the dining room. My plan is to find the center of the front hallway and the come up with a starting point that goes from the living room to the kitchen. How does this sound?

I am not sure what I am going to do for the round fire place yet. Either under cut it or use vinyl quarter round molding.

What is the best way to end the flooring at sliding glass doors?

Phil

Philip replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    February 15, 2021 at 8:54 am

That sounds like a good plan! Do you need help with that? Would you like me to walk you through this in a screencast? As far as the fireplace goes another option would be gluing a rope around the fireplace to hide the gap. Here is a link to a video for the door.

https://laminateuniversity.sothatshowyoudothat.com/how-to-install-plank-to-an-exterior-door/

How to install Plank to an Exterior Door

• Philip

February 15, 2021 at 9:17 am

I would appreciate if you would do a screencast to show me how you would do the layout. I have watched your video’s and think they are the best out at explaining how to do everything.

<font face=”inherit”>My vinyl plank will be need a vapor barrier. I am planning to use one with padding. What do you use to patch the wholes with that get drilled in it when you drill and screw the cut </font>planks<font face=”inherit”> to hold the floor from moving?</font>

<font face=”inherit”>Thanks,</font>

<font face=”inherit”>Phil</font>

• Joe

Administrator
    February 15, 2021 at 11:25 am

You can use a clear packing tape or duct tape

• Joe

Administrator
    February 16, 2021 at 1:21 pm

Sorry my mic broke so I am using the webcam mic and it is not quite as good…

Here is a link to your screencast- https://floormechanics.wistia.com/medias/yonu5tqctv

• Philip

February 16, 2021 at 2:53 pm

Thanks Joe! That helped a lot and brought up things I didn’t even think of with the doorways. Now I’m concerned about making sure the caulk lines between the hallway and the living room area stay parallel. I would hate to get to the hallway and find out its not straight. Also the front hallway has 3 doors, laundry room, a closet, and a bedroom. I drew the drawing from memory since I am not home right now. I work 7 days out of town and home 7 days so it will be a long project for sure . I can try to draw it out better if you like when I get home.

Just a little info on the house. I will be removing all the flooring and starting fresh with the concrete foundation. The cabinets were installed on top of the tile during a pervious remodel so I am going to try to cut the tile flush with the cabinets and use quarter round or trim. I really don’t like quarter round but I don’t think I have much choice.

I am in Arizona. Its a chilly 50-60 for the highs where I am at. haha

Phil

• Joe

Administrator
    February 17, 2021 at 9:09 am

Haha Phil! Ok glad I could help and let me know if there is anything else you need.

• Philip

November 19, 2021 at 2:26 pm

Hi Joe,

I am getting hopeful that I will finally start putting down the planks soon. I wanted to revisit the floor plan again on where to start now that I have a better drawing. I put some measurements in drawing on how wide the halls are. I am planning on putting the plank north/south with the drawing being north at top. My planks are 7″ wide. The front hall is 69″ wide so would take 1/2″ off each side if put the edge of the plank at center. But the issue I see with that is I will end up with needing a small 1/2″ plank on the west side of the living room. The living room is 182″ which turns out to be exactly 26 planks with no cuts. My thoughts is to have the plank in the front hall be in the middle so I end up with about a half a plank at each wall. I remember you saying something about the doorways before but not sure what it was. What is you thoughts on where to center the plank? I am just trying to make sure I don’t end up needing a narrow plank in the hallway or living room unless that ok to do.

Thanks again for all the help.

Phil

• Joe

Administrator
    November 20, 2021 at 7:37 am

Center would be 34 1/2 and that would be almost a full plank on both sides. I would move that over a half of plank so the new mark would be 38 inches giving you a 3 inch piece on each side and a bigger piece in the livingroom. Make sense?

• Philip

November 20, 2021 at 6:08 pm

Sure does, that’s what I was thinking of. Assuming north is the top of diagram I plan to start south west/west and work east from there.

Thanks again!

Phil