Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Where should I start – Post drawings and questions Starting my floor – single level

• Scott

April 4, 2021 at 9:15 am

More PIcs

• Joe

Administrator
    April 5, 2021 at 8:54 am

Here you go Scott-http://somup.com/crfhIsbJ2r

Here is a link to the video I told you about (look at 21:40)-https://youtu.be/DoeMwcnBpXw

• Joe

Administrator
    April 5, 2021 at 9:02 am

Watch these videos too-http://somup.com/crfh2VbJoZ

https://youtu.be/Q0sov6i9dz0

• Scott

April 5, 2021 at 5:03 pm

Thank you for you response. I was forming a reply while watching your videos and lost the reply. So, I will start again.

Please see attached floor plan. I use sketch up 2017. It is free and you can do much much more with it. I could actually design my whole house with layers and show 2×4’s in internal walls if I wanted to do that. I used it to design a simple 8×8 shed with a lean-to roof, but I haven’t actually built the shed yet. HOA part is hard to get around. I need permits, and approval from HOA with proper drainage drawings.

Anyway, back to the floor. I have seen probably 80% or more of all of your videos on youtube. I think I got the stairs now, but will ask more when I get to the install. For now, I am going to order the laminate and plan on some dates to get in here and knock it all out.

I still think it will be easier starting in the Living Room. My diagram does not show the fireplace. It is located at the bottom of the picture to the left of the doorway. If I started in the kitchen, I would have to do the fireplace and one angle backwards. If I start in the living room, I will only need to do 2 angles backwards in the kitchen. But if you still think it is easier in the kitchen start, I will do that. You said it was a toss up, so I am thinking living room, but I will definitely follow your guide.

That totally makes sense on the gas valve. I knew I was going to need to use a hole saw, but didn’t think about putting the seam there. That will make that much easier.

I do not want to use any quarter round. I am doing all new baseboards. I probably won’t contact you until I am finally into the project. It will be a couple of weeks. Thanks again for you help. I am sure I will run into more stuff I will need some help on.

• Scott

April 5, 2021 at 6:44 pm

I actually have some more questions. I am ordering the parts to complete this project. I am ordering it all from Home Depot. I am not sure what I will need to use at the Fireplace tile. Should I use T-Molding or a Reducer put in backwards? Or can I just do the measurements very good and put nothing? Is that an option?

Sorry, I will try and be more to the point:

Exterior doors – What do I need for the threshold. My doors look horrible.

Fire Place – use nothing, reducer, or T-molding? Currently the subfloor is 3/4″ below tile. When I add quiet pad and laminate that is 3mm + 12mm =15 mm which is 1.5cm and 1.5/2.54 therefore = 0.6 inches or 9/16 inch lower than tile.

Do I need seam tape for the pads? I see some videos where it already has it.

• Scott

April 16, 2021 at 7:21 am

Headed home from work trip to pick up my plank and pad. How long does it need to sit in my house to acclimate to temps. It is currently cold and snowing in Denver. I have read 48 hours. Do I really need to go that long. It is laminate.

• Scott

April 16, 2021 at 7:34 am

Maybe I missed your response, but I am not sure how to make the exterior door look good. There are pics in my earlier post.

• Joe

Administrator
      April 16, 2021 at 8:42 am

you need to put a piece of plank next to it and share a pic for me to give the best answer. I would wait at least 1 day. Bring it in the house and start opening boxes.

• Joe

Administrator
    April 16, 2021 at 8:43 am

also, watch this video-https://laminateuniversity.sothatshowyoudothat.com/how-to-install-plank-to-an-exterior-door/

How to install Plank to an Exterior Door

• Scott

April 16, 2021 at 5:08 pm

Thank you. I will send pics as soon as I get laminate. What should I do with these metal bands? Install over then?

• Joe

Administrator
    April 17, 2021 at 10:36 am
  • Scott

April 17, 2021 at 5:45 pm

Well I bought a norske 13″ laminate cutter. It doesn’t seem to difficult, but cuts my plank horribly. I paid $129.00 for it, and I believe it is junk. I didn’t want to have all the dust. I guess I will be using my chop saw, table saw, and jig saw. Please look at these pics and let me know if I am doing something wrong. Or did I get too cheap of laminate? I got home decorators from home depot. If it is too cheap, I guess I will be doing it again in a few years.

• Scott

April 17, 2021 at 6:53 pm

Another thing, Joe, my toe kicks in kitchen has this plastic stuff glued to the toe kick and floor. When they built the home they put linoleum down, then installed cabinets, dishwasher, and stove. I know I said I wanted it to be perfect, but I will be leaving cabinets, dishwasher, and stove in place and install laminate just barely under cabinets. This means I will need to rip out and replace toe kicks unless you have another plan. I don’t want quarter round and that plastic looks horrible. Please see pics.

Project is getting bigger the further I go. At first it was just laminate in living room. Then it was laminate and baseboards, then kitchen and now toe kicks

• Scott

April 18, 2021 at 4:19 pm

I am glad I got a membership. I am running into more issues. I am sure it is easy. My thoughts are to cut drywall around the room with oscillating tool and cut these nails with bolt cutters or sawzall.

What is your expert advice? My drywall goes almost to subfloor in a lot of the room. These nails are toenails from most likely exterior load bearing wall. It looks like they got carried away on some of them and they are in my way. My baseboard will not cover the expansion gap with these nails in the way. Please see pics. I do not want to use quarter round. I will be putting all new baseboards in after floor is installed. I could slot the laminate around the nails too and hope baseboards would cover it up. Probably easier to cut nails.

• Joe

Administrator
    April 19, 2021 at 9:27 am
  • Scott

April 23, 2021 at 1:18 pm

Im really having issues in what to put at exterior doors. I originally didn’t want to use any quarter round in this installation. Eventually I might replace the threshold with new one. But for now, what should I do here? Reducer? For now I will be running quarter inch from this unless you have other idea. I won’t get to it today, I don’t think…

• Joe

Administrator
    April 23, 2021 at 1:50 pm
  • Scott

April 26, 2021 at 7:31 am

I have been working left to right and tongue into groove. Now I will be working my kitchen backwards. Can I work right to left? I would be switching my direction entirely. It seems easier to start on the wall and work towards the cabinets. If I continue in the same direction, I would be starting under the cabinets and ending at the wall, but still back filling.

Page 1 of 2