Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Where should I start – Post drawings and questions Stair Wall out of Square with Nosings

• Stair Wall out of Square with Nosings

Posted by Brayden on June 29, 2023 at 3:31 pm

Hi Joe,

I have now gotten started on my project and I have cut the top stair nosing. I’ve just found out that the wall that runs parallel with the stair stringers is out of square with the stair treads and risers themselves. My question is primarily on how to account for this on the top nosing.

If I glue the nosing with full contact to the plywood at the top of the stairs, the nosing will not be at a perfect right angle with the planks on the upper floor that are running perpendicular to the stairs, but if I shift the nosing to be more square with the planks, there will be a gap underneath the nosing on the right side preventing full glue contact between the nosing and the top riser.

My options are to:

1. Glue the nosing with full contact to the top riser, and let the nosing not be at a right angle with the planks on the top floor.
    2. Shift the top nosing so that it is at a right angle with the planks, leaving a gap underneath the nosing on the right side.
    3. Split the difference.

I would have to add a bunch of extra glue to bridge the gap. It will glued on the horizontal face to the upper subfloor too so maybe it’s not a concern. I’m interested in which route you would take personally.

Always an unexpected obstacle with every project! I look forward to your advice. Hopefully the picture will help explain it as well, I have rendered the wall to be extremely out of square to help clarify.

Thank you,
    Brayden

Picture #1 – In the 3d rendered image, I have exaggerated the problem to try and demonstrate it. Notice how the upper floor planks are running parallel with the out of square wall, and how they are not at a right angle with the top nosing.

Picture #2 – In the real life photo, the nosing it making full contact with the top riser but is 1/4″ out of square with the top planks over 2 feet. It might not be that noticeable (to anybody but me), so maybe I am overthinking it.

Joe replied 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    June 29, 2023 at 4:16 pm
  • Brayden

June 29, 2023 at 6:08 pm

Thanks Joe! Fully appreciate all of your quick help and advice on this project. I will split the difference. I feel like I will be the only person to ever notice it. My 3d rendering was pretty exaggerated.

Do you prefer to make joints in any of your risers or treads or do you glue one piece?

• Joe

Administrator
    June 30, 2023 at 7:15 am