Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• scott.mathusek

September 30, 2022 at 1:25 pm

I’m either counting my blessings or really unhappy right now. I’m really now sure what the transition is at the top of the stairs. But this is where I’m at. This is a 5/16″ gap. Do I need to put a tiny strip here? I actually have the same question at the bottom of the stairs. Is it typical to use quarter rounds or something like that? Or do I need to be exact?

• Joe

Administrator
    September 30, 2022 at 2:53 pm
  • scott.mathusek

September 30, 2022 at 4:36 pm

I can also ask the builder what he usually does there, but it is a wooden staircase and they will just be stained. I just don’t know what the transition typically is for this. The house I’m moving from is all carpet so I don’t have a reference point.

• Joe

Administrator
    September 30, 2022 at 4:39 pm
  • scott.mathusek

October 1, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Oh shoot. I didn’t see this. I will get this information tomorrow. The plank is Cali bamboo LVP Huntington hickory.

I wanted to say that I really can’t thank you enough for your help. I am certain that I would have had big mistakes without it as I tried to forgive it out myself. I got around the stairs today and I was so relieved and happy when everything connected perfectly. Also, all the tools and everything that you have suggested are great. I know you know that already, but I’m sold on everything. So thank you!

• Joe

Administrator
    October 3, 2022 at 8:48 am

Looks outstanding!!

• scott.mathusek

November 10, 2022 at 7:03 pm

Hey Joe. I’m all done with the flooring and I really appreciate your help. Every penny I spent on this service was worth it!

I do have another question though. I installed the floors before cabinets were installed. I actually went just far enough for the cabinets to barely sit on top of the floor. Truthfully, I did that because I went to the measurement that the builder told me to use. But I also went under the island. The island is 8×4 and will have quartzite countertops. So it will be heavy. By my estimation, it will be roughly 700 lbs total. The manufacturer of the floor said that the warranty is voided if you have anything over 500lbs on the floor. Honestly, I’m not too concerned with the warranty. I don’t think those warranties are worth much anyway, but of course, you would know better than I would.

Anyway, I’m debating whether I should cut out a rectangle in the floor to place the island in our if I should just keep it the way it is. Im hoping to get your opinion. I realize you probably don’t want to say anything that COULD hurt my floor. I’m not looking for a “whatever the manufacturer says” kind of answer, unless you really believe that. What would you do if it was YOUR floor? My dad, who sells floors for a living, mentioned that the manufacturers are always very conservative on their numbers. What do you think? I don’t want to damage the floor, but I’m also very nervous about messing up the floor when I cut it out

• Joe

Administrator
    November 11, 2022 at 7:30 am

I would not cut anything and just leave it as is. If you have an issue in the future, you can cut it then.

• scott.mathusek

November 11, 2022 at 7:55 am

Perfect. Thank you.

• scott.mathusek

November 17, 2022 at 10:24 am

So the top of my stairs on the second floor I didn’t realize that I need to come up with something for the trim or where the post comes in. I would have thought of it, but I didn’t.

I have nosing for the stairs, but didn’t realize that material would need to go all around the edges here. They link below is all the transition pieces from the company I used. I’m wondering if there is a better option out there. I was given the suggestion to have a custom piece of wood made, cut back the floor so that it can remain a floating floor, and it would be more durable and look nicer.

I’m curious what you typically would do in an area like this.

https://www.calibamboo.com/cali-bamboo-flooring-accessories/https://www.calibamboo.com/cali-bamboo-flooring-accessories/

• Joe

Administrator
    November 17, 2022 at 11:22 am
  • scott.mathusek

November 17, 2022 at 1:43 pm

Thanks Joe. So I spoke with the builder after I messaged you and he said he was planning to put the posts right through the vinyl which is why I would just need the corners covered. We will have four 6-8″ posts spaced out like in my drawing. The other picture is not our house but a very similar setup. This is the style we were going for but not sure if that’s okay to do with a floating floor. I suggested a similar idea, but not quite the same. I like your idea better. His concern was it would need to be fairly large because of the 6″posts. Anyway, I don’t know if I just made any sense, but I think I am going to propose to him what you said because it is slightly different than what I had suggested.

• scott.mathusek

November 17, 2022 at 2:04 pm

Here’s what I drew up for my builder. I’m going with your suggestion. Thanks again!

• Joe

Administrator
    November 17, 2022 at 2:05 pm

perfect

Page 2 of 2