Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Scott Mathusek Blueprint Request

Posted by scott.mathusek on June 26, 2022 at 10:26 pm

Hi Joe, Looking forward to getting your help with this. We really love your videos and appreciate what you do with this. I’m really impressed so far with the whole process you’ve laid out here. It has already put me at ease.

My project is actually a new build. Our house is being framed right now so we have a little bit of time before we get to the flooring, but I didn’t know how long this process takes to get this information back from you so I figured it was better to start it up now.

We are going to be putting LVP down in most of the house. The entire first floor will be the same flooring. The second floor will be LVP everywhere except the master bedroom and master closet where we will have carpet. (The boys want to be able to have a dog in their rooms so no carpet for them!) We will have the same LVP throughout with the exception of the upstairs bathrooms. Those rooms will have the same type of LVP. The only difference will be a different color. I have attached some pictures of the planks we have. Please let me know if they are not sufficient.

I have also attached a photo of the subfloor we have. It is Advantech. I attached that because I’m not certain what I should do or if I need a moisture barrier. As I understand, the company I have ordered from (Cali) requires me to have something there for the warranty to be covered. I’m just not sure if I should just use the plastic or have something to help my floors be quieter. Any opinions on that would be helpful.

Lastly, I have attached a photo of the flooring label we are using in case you are familiar with it or want to refer to it.

As for plank direction, we are unsure. We see the benefit of going from the front door toward the back of the house (South to North if that’s how you determine that). We like the planks going with the hallway, but at the same time, the “great room” and kitchen going west to east may also make sense. I think upstairs we prefer west to east because the rooms are longer that way. Should the planks be in the same direction upstairs as they are downstairs? I’m sorry, I’m getting long-winded here. As you can see, I’m really not sure what direction is best.

I think that’s all for now. Let me know if I am forgetting any information you need. Again, I really appreciate your help with this and am looking forward to working with you!!!

Joe replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 31 Replies
  • 31 Replies
  • scott.mathusek

June 26, 2022 at 10:43 pm

Actually, I did have one more question. In theory, I realize that the answer to this should be no because everything is new, but I’m wondering if it is likely that I will need to do anything to level any parts of the flooring if there are minor imperfections in the joints of the floor.

• Joe

Administrator
    June 27, 2022 at 10:24 am
  • scott.mathusek

June 27, 2022 at 11:25 am

Thanks for the fast reply Joe. Here are the pictures of the plank. I took one of each end of the board. The master bath will also have LVP and I do have a transition piece for the bathrooms. The laundry is the same LVP as the bedrooms. I think I prefer east to west upstairs and down but I will come back soon on that. I need to confirm with my wife.

• Joe

Administrator
    June 27, 2022 at 12:48 pm

No rush on my end. Think about it and get back to me. You might want to wait for the house to come along a little more to really give it a good evaluation.

• scott.mathusek

June 28, 2022 at 11:03 am

Yep. We have time. Right now, we like West to East on both levels. We can wait until we get closer and lay a few out to see how we like the look. I’m 2-3 months out.

• Joe

Administrator
    June 28, 2022 at 11:52 am

Ok, sounds good Scott. Just let me know when you make a final decision and I will get this done for you then.

• scott.mathusek

July 30, 2022 at 10:42 pm

We have decided to go west to east

We are still debating the quiet walk but are leaning towards using it. I have noticed how quiet the advantech material is. Is this going to make a bigger difference? I think we mainly just care about the the insulating benefits. Also, your link goes to the 3′ wide but there is a 6″ wide option. Does that make a difference?We have decided to go west to east

We are still debating the quiet walk but are leaning towards using it. I have noticed how quiet the advantech material is. Is this going to make a bigger difference? I think we mainly just care about the the insulating benefits. Also, your link goes to the 3′ wide but there is a 6″ wide option. Does that make a difference?

• Joe

Administrator
    August 1, 2022 at 10:08 am
  • scott.mathusek

August 2, 2022 at 7:42 am

Thanks for the quick reply. No need to rush to get it taken care of today if you have more pressing needs. I still have done time before getting it done, but I do want to buy the quiet walk in case it goes out of stock at any point.

As for your questions, everything you said is correct. All bathrooms upstairs, including the master are being done with the same plank but different color. I kind of wish I didn’t do that, but I already have the material. Oh well. We may decide to change that but it’s not as easy as returning an item to home Depot unfortunately. We are also running east and west on all rooms.

We still go back and forth on the quiet walk. After your response I was going to go ahead and order it, but then my wife said that the more she thinks about it, the less inclined she is to get it. The floors seem so quiet already. We really like the idea of the extra insulation and less noise, but not sure it is needed enough to go spend $1,600 on it. If you were putting in a floor of your own on top of advantech sub flooring, would you install it? Don’t worry, I won’t hold you to it if I take your advice and I don’t like it. I think I may just buy a roll and go see how I like it because I am curious about the hollow sound you’re talking about. Either way, I am required to put a moisture barrier for the warranty. So if I don’t do this, I’ll likely go get some plastic. Which is another question. Do you recommend plastic as a moisture barrier? To me, it seems like a good option for the subfloor, but a horrible option for the plank itself. And since my subfloor is advantech, that doesn’t seem to be a good idea. Can I use the quiet walk in certain areas like the kitchen and bathrooms? Or would that give too much of a difference in height? I’m sorry. I promise I will stop asking about this stuff soon. I just want to make sure I am completely comfortable with it.

• Joe

Administrator
    August 2, 2022 at 10:34 am
    • scott.mathusek

August 4, 2022 at 1:13 pm

Thanks Joe. This helps. I did get one roll through Amazon and it came today. I’m looking forward to testing it out, but really, you’ve pretty much convinced me anyway. I’ll test it anyway because why not? But thanks for the help there.

• Joe

Administrator
    August 3, 2022 at 1:30 pm

Here is the blueprint for the main level – https://somup.com/c3jeFvuC66

• Joe

Administrator
    August 4, 2022 at 12:46 pm

Here is your blueprint for the bathrooms – https://somup.com/c3jfbGu5C3

• Joe

Administrator
    August 4, 2022 at 1:07 pm

Here is your blueprint for the upper level – https://somup.com/c3jfFiu5EX

• scott.mathusek

September 28, 2022 at 10:16 am

Joe, I’m finally getting to install the flooring and I have to say, these videos are worth every penny and I’m sure it is saving me money in the scrap I would have had without your guidance.

I have a quick question. You have various areas where you tell me too screw in the plank. I’m assuming this needs to be in places that will be covered with trim?

• Joe

Administrator
    September 28, 2022 at 10:38 am
  • scott.mathusek

September 29, 2022 at 6:42 pm

Thanks Joe

Page 1 of 2