Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums Floor Prep Sanding and Planing High Spots in OSB is Wearing out Sandpaper and planer

• Sanding and Planing High Spots in OSB is Wearing out Sandpaper and planer

Posted by Keith on July 18, 2021 at 9:25 pm

Hello,

I have some high spots on my OSB subfloor that after moving my 6ft level around I see it would be far better to remove or reduce the high spot rather then to put in a filler around it. The issue is that it takes forever in that it dulls the 80 grit sandpaper in no time, dulled my grinder too, and the blade on my electric planer now needs replacing. It all worked after much effort but it took a long time too. I think I have a few more to do…. So is there a better way to do this using a different tool, technique, or type of sandpaper or planer blade? Thanks!

Keith replied 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    July 19, 2021 at 12:33 pm
    • Keith

July 19, 2021 at 3:32 pm

Thanks Joe! Good information, I’m going to make a run this week to Harbor Freight Tools to pick up some of the items you mentioned. I think it might be the glue or the hardener they used in the OSB as to why it wears out the paper so easy. I was careful to counter sink nails and screws. (I think I might have hit one though.)