Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Activity Feed Forums General Question concerning plank problem after installation

• Question concerning plank problem after installation

Posted by Doug on February 24, 2022 at 5:38 am

@joeletendre Hey Joe, now about three months after the completion of my vinyl plank installation, I have a couple of areas where I can hear a “squish” type of noise when I walk on the plank. The one that concerns me is in our kitchen since this is a high traffic area. Each time I walk on the seam that you will see in the photo below I hear the squish noise. Under closer examination, I can press down on the seam where the two planks meet and create a small gap. This tells me that for whatever reason, the locking system on the floor has failed. I do not plan to remove all the planks to resolve. I’m thinking that I may try an approach where I use a putty knife or a small pry bar to create a gap large enough for me to squeeze in some glue. Is there some other approach that you would suggest? Thank you my friend. Your helpful tips are the absolute best and continue to give me the confidence I need to complete my installation

Joe replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    February 24, 2022 at 8:49 am

That is exactly what I would do. If you use clear gorilla glue, try and spray a mist of water in the gap first, then apply the glue. Was this a drop and lock? Meaning, you hit the butt joint with a mallet.

• Doug

February 24, 2022 at 12:04 pm

Thanks, @joeletendre I will give this a shot. To answer your question, no. This flooring brand in NUCOR and it uses an installation technique where you first lift the plank 20-30 degrees to connect the long side of the plank then you press the plank down for end to end connection. The floor that I just installed at my son’s house featured the UNICLICK locking where as you said, you would first join the end of the planks and then lift and beat the plank into the long side lock using your block. I really liked installing my son’s floor and I expect that he will not experience the same problems that I am experiencing with my NUCOR floor. THanks, Joe!

• Joe

Administrator
    February 25, 2022 at 9:16 am

I consider your plank a drop and lock and your son’s floor a standard tongue and groove.

• Doug

February 26, 2022 at 8:05 am

Joe, based on your experience, is the tongue and groove floor the best from a “least amount of problems” perspective for the life of the floor?

• Joe

Administrator
    February 26, 2022 at 8:51 am

Yes, I am not a fan of drop and lock because of issues like you stated.

• Doug

March 3, 2022 at 6:48 am

@joeletendre I placed a fine line of Gorilla Super Glue between the planks that were creaking and this resolved the issue. My only problem is that the glue is glossy so I can see the glue in a few very small spots. Is there another type of glue that you use to resolve issues like this that does not have a glossy appearance? Thank you Joe!

• Joe

Administrator
    March 3, 2022 at 8:48 am

I would use clear gorilla glue, it is not glossy like super glue is.