Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

Tagged: 

• Posted by Amanda on February 25, 2021 at 12:36 pm

I’m installing Lifeproof LVP 7.5″x48.” Rooms to be done are living/Dining room, foyer/hall, kitchen, and step down family room. I’m considering going over the tile in the powder room as well, to keep all flooring uniform in height. The LVP will be installed directly on top of the hardwood flooring I currently have.

My questions are:

1. Where should I start/what direction would work best?

2. How do I address the step down from kitchen to family room? There is currently a railing with spindles that sit directly into the hardwood. I bought the matching bullnose overlay to use but I’m not exactly sure how to make it all work. I’m open to changing the railing but definitely need to have something there for safety.

3. I’m installing all new baseboards as well. Should I place the new baseboards over the LVP or use quarter round? I would like to avoid the quarter round if possible.

Amanda replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    February 25, 2021 at 3:03 pm

Hello Amanda,

Can you share a pic of the stair nose that you bought?

You can install the new trim over the new plank and you will not need to use quarter round. Although, you will need to use quarter round around the cabinets unless you had another plan with those.

• Joe

Administrator
    February 25, 2021 at 3:12 pm

Please watch this video.

http://somup.com/crnTrlDg7A

• Amanda

February 25, 2021 at 4:15 pm

You are correct in the rooms you assumed I am going to do. The dead space is just my not true-to-scale drawing! Yes I am going to remove the base molding around the island and replace it over the LVP. The east to west direction works for me. As far as the railing goes the best thought I had was to leave the three posts as is then cut a few inches off the bottom of the spindles and add a base rail leaving a couple inches of space between the bottom rail and the floor. I’m not sure how hard it would be or how realistic it is to think this would work? I’d like to be able to leave the current hardwood flooring including the stair nose in tact so if we decide to later on to remove the vinyl, it will be as it was. I believe the type of vinyl stair nose I got should be able to slide over the existing hardwood one? Thanks in advance!

• Amanda

February 25, 2021 at 4:17 pm

I forgot to say I was thinking a small base shoe or quarter round around the 3 railing posts?

• Amanda

February 25, 2021 at 4:37 pm

Or, I could leave the 3 posts as is and then replace the railings with something like this. Probably a much simpler plan!

• Joe

Administrator
    February 25, 2021 at 5:26 pm

Here is a little more for you to think about.

http://somup.com/crnT0TDkeo

• Amanda

February 25, 2021 at 5:44 pm

Thanks Joe. I’m going to have to really think about this issue with the railing. It might end up being a trial and error kind of thing once I get going!

• Joe

Administrator
    February 26, 2021 at 10:53 am

Here is a link to your Installation Blueprint.

http://somup.com/crnOFFDpGk

• Amanda

March 9, 2021 at 8:21 pm

Thank you Joe, this video is amazing. I can’t wait to get to work!!! ????