Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Tony on November 27, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Hi Joe, really appreciate all your work and videos! Been a big blessing. I’ve installed laminate a couple times in fairly straight forward situations, but we just bought a house and we’re doing almost everything in LVP. The house has a couple odd angles and things. Attached are a couple images from when we bought.

1. The first question is on the second image with the angled entries to the bedrooms. Do I have to use transitions in both?
    2. The second question is on the first image. Should I start going the length of the left (exterior) wall, even though that will mean perpendicular planks down the hall?

Not sure if I’m following all the protocol (just joined yesterday), but we’re looking to get started.

Thanks in advance brother, and let me know if I need to submit something different.

Tony

Tony replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 31 Replies
  • 31 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    November 29, 2021 at 8:54 am
    • Tony

November 29, 2021 at 9:56 pm

Super helpful already! Here’re the responses to your questions:

1. Those two pics are on wood subfloor (main story with garage, and 2nd floor with 2 bedrooms).

2. 2nd pic is upstairs (with the 2 “bathrooms”)

3. You’re correct: the first ‘bathroom’ is the vanity and a closet. Second one is the commode and tub.

4. Upstairs I had planned to go East/West to go with the hallway and stair landing.

5. I was planning to go North/South on the main to go with the length of the ‘great room’. I definitely like the idea of varying the plank lengths through the hall on the main. I never would’ve thought about that.

I’ll add some more pics for reference below. We are demoing the kitchen to make it more of a U-shape, FYI. The pics with flooring are from Zillow pre-purchase. Hint: it was prettier in the pics :).

Also, is it the norm to run the LVP into the kitchens and bathrooms? There was vinyl tile in the kitchen and lower bathroom now, and sheet vinyl and carpet upstairs (and the basement bathroom was all carpet). I wasn’t sure if sheet vinyl would be better, or just use the LVP.

Not to ask too much, but do you have any thoughts on the basement? I was going to go North/South there as well (not doing the stairs), and carry it to the bedroom. I was going to do vapor barrier (it’s slab), but there is a cork backing on the planks.

Thanks, again! Looking forward to any advice and the upcoming stair video!

• Joe

Administrator
    November 30, 2021 at 10:45 am

It is normal to run plank into the kitchen and baths. I will get working on these 3 levels and will have them to you by tomorrow.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2021 at 10:19 am

I am breaking this into 3 videos and here is the main level Blueprint – http://somup.com/crlVDb0USw

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2021 at 11:08 am

2nd level blueprint – http://somup.com/crlVbj0veL

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2021 at 11:43 am

Here is the basement blueprint – http://somup.com/crlVbC0viu

• Joe

Administrator
    December 1, 2021 at 11:45 am

Here are the links I mentioned – https://youtu.be/6eZHHSzI7Qo (watch this at the 22:40 mark for the glue sticks)

Kitchen – https://youtu.be/PM-LA-KqVzk

• Tony

December 2, 2021 at 9:48 pm

really appreciate this. Will be digesting the information this weekend!

• Joe

Administrator
    December 11, 2021 at 9:40 pm

How out of square is it Tony?

• Tony

December 12, 2021 at 4:41 pm

It seems 1/2″ over the depth of the room.

• Joe

Administrator
    December 13, 2021 at 9:58 am

Tony, we can talk on the phone if you would like and I can help you through this.

• Tony

December 19, 2021 at 6:04 pm

I appreciate it. I think I’ve gotten through it. It’s not perfect, but it’s moving (updates below).

However, now I’m stuck with a “problem corner (in pics)” moving into bedroom #2. I have the cuts that fit, but I can’t get the pieces to join together. I’ve tried trimming off the ridge on the female side, and the male ledge (on a scrap piece).

Advice?

• Joe

Administrator
    December 20, 2021 at 8:47 am
    • Tony

December 27, 2021 at 10:37 pm

Quick update Joe:

Top floor is mostly done. Once I get my compressor out of storage, I’ll reattach the baseboards.

Thanks for all the help, now, on the the main floor!

P.s. pics forthcoming

• Tony

December 27, 2021 at 10:44 pm
  • Joe

Administrator
    December 28, 2021 at 8:50 am

Looks great Tony! You really did a nice job on this and there were many obstacles to overcome and you overcame them!! Well done my brother!

• Tony

January 2, 2022 at 9:06 am

Thanks! Burned a lot of brain cells, but it flows nicely we think.

• Tony

January 2, 2022 at 9:20 am

So, I’m now starting on the main floor. On the exterior wall, there are some straps on the floor coming from under the exterior wall. They are kind of thick, and extend in 12″ from the wall. I laid the first 3 rows down to see how the affected everything. I tried to make sure there weren’t any joints within 6″ of the straps. But, I can definitely feel the bumps in the flooring when walking over it (not that anyone is going to be walking that close to the wall), and I’m worried about furniture popping the joints. There are 6 of them along the wall.

So, do you know what that is for and if I can just cut them off close to the wall? I don’t want to cause issues in the future, or make something not code.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Tony. Reason: More detail
  • Joe

Administrator
    January 2, 2022 at 9:23 am

Just cut those straps off. The framers just used them when lifting walls into place and they should have removed them.

• Tony

January 2, 2022 at 9:26 am

Great! Thanks!

• Tony

February 17, 2022 at 3:41 pm

Joe, running into a problem on the last row, around the sliding glass door, not sure how to slide the pieces under the casing and then put a piece in the middle. The span is too wide for just one plank, but it has to go under casing just right so there isn’t a gap showing. I’ll put 1/4 round along the door. I think I can do it with a short piece in the small space to the right of the door, then a bigger piece, then a piece shaped like __|——

Thank you for all your help!

• Joe

Administrator
    February 18, 2022 at 9:31 am
    • Tony

February 21, 2022 at 8:24 pm

Joe, thanks again for the rescue! Got the last row in, and now it’s time to learn how to put in 1/4 round. 🙂 I ended up not having to plane and glue, but taking out a few boards in the adjacent row seemed to give me the space I needed to make sure everything would fit correctly. I didn’t quite pay enough attention to the butt joints, so I’m matching one a few rows away, but I think it’ll work.

I don’t have good final pics, as we’ve been trying to live in the house for a bit (as noted by the stuff everywhere). But, below are a couple of the finished wall.

• Tony

September 2, 2022 at 9:49 am

Hi, it’s been a while. 6 months, and it’s not *quite* done, but close. However, I’ve got some separating planks (pics below). I’m not sure how to fix them. I’m sure it’s because I didn’t prep the subfloor enough. I didn’t self-level the whole thing, but tried to even out and fill dips.

Ideas? Thanks.

• marc.hallquist

September 4, 2022 at 2:13 pm

Just chiming in – great project! I had some planks where the gap was larger than I liked and I used Roberts vinyl putty to fill them. Also used where I accidentally scratched the plank by dropping a sharp chisel. You can’t even tell. Home Depot carries it. If the color matches close enough, this works great for scratches or small gaps less than 1/16”.

• Tony

November 26, 2022 at 12:31 am

Thanks! I’ll definitely check out the putty.

• Joe

Administrator
    February 22, 2022 at 8:46 am

Looks great Tony!!

• Joe

Administrator
    September 2, 2022 at 12:47 pm

Can you show me on your drawing where these are?

Page 1 of 2