Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community here!

• Posted by Angus on April 19, 2021 at 9:41 pm

Hi Joe,

Attached is my plan to install vinyl plank through multiple rooms. If I understand what you have been saying in your videos, this approach will only requirement to install in the reverse direction in the two, relatively small areas indicated by the arrows in the drawing.

The overall plank direction matches the plank direction in the main hallway that is not showing in the diagram.

Please let me know if you see any issues with this approach.

Regards,

Angus

Joe replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Joe

Administrator
    April 20, 2021 at 7:51 am
    • Angus

April 22, 2021 at 12:16 pm

Hi Joe,

Thank you confirming my approach to the installation makes sense. Last night I removed the carpet and ran into a couple of issues I could use your advice on before I proceed.

Ideally, I would be installing the planks through these 4-areas without transitions. However, in the pantry, laundry room, and bathroom there is a 1/4″ particleboard underneath the linoleum (see Transition.jpg photo). I do not see any visible fasteners on the particleboard, leaving me to believe it is secured with adhesive of some type. How do you typically address this type of situation? Is it better to try to remove the particle board or to build up the main room by adding particle board to get all of the rooms to the same level?

I also discovered a wire mesh (see Fireplace_1.jpg and Fireplace_2jpg) underneath the brick fireplace sitting directly on the wooden subfloor. My original plan was to butt the flooring against the brick and use a moulding to finish the edge. Should I attempt to cut the wire back so it is flush to the brick or do I not need to concern myself with the difference in height (just under 1/8″)?

Thanks again,

Angus

• Joe

Administrator
    April 23, 2021 at 8:21 am
  • Angus

April 23, 2021 at 9:16 am

Good morning,

Thank you for the guidance. I started to remove the particle board which you correctly guessed is slightly over 1/4″ in thickness. It is fastened down with staples, lots, and lots of staples, but it is coming up ok. I made a series of shallow cuts across the particle board with my circular saw to help the board break off in larger chunks and that is working pretty well.

I will get to work on the wire mesh later today after I pick up an angle grinder.

Have a great day,

Angus

• Angus

April 23, 2021 at 9:59 am

I have one more follow up question regarding the brick mantel. I am leaning towards undercutting the brick with an angle grinder as you showed in your video showing the undercut procedure. What is different in my case is that wire mesh, that I’m assuming is in place underneath the entire fireplace. Do you know if there are any additional steps or precautions I need to take when undercutting the fireplace brick with this type of mesh installed?

Regards,

Angus

• Joe

Administrator
    April 23, 2021 at 1:34 pm
  • Joe

Administrator
    April 23, 2021 at 1:50 pm